Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: When to use Malloc?
Top Forums Programming When to use Malloc? Post 86583 by blowtorch on Saturday 15th of October 2005 11:51:26 PM
Old 10-16-2005
The decision of whether to use malloc or not really depends on you.

If you want to have a program that does not allocate space that it does not need, then you should use malloc to allocate space when you know how much you will need. Also, if you are expecting to allocate a very large array, say of 100000 bytes or something, but it is possible that some cases may have only 500 of those bytes actually used, then you are again better off using malloc to allocate just those many bytes.

Of course, if you are going to use malloc - especially in a loop, remember to use free, or you risk crashing your program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a problem about malloc()

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post. 2 . the programe is that : #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void do_it(char *p) { p = (char *) malloc(100); (void )strcpy(p,"1234"); } int main(void) { char *p; do_it(p); (void )printf("p = %s \n",p); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. Programming

malloc

hello sir since by mentioning a integer pointer and storing the integers by incrementing the pointer value then what is the purpose of malloc? u can decalre it as in t *p; several integers can be stored by incrementing the value of p, hence what is the diffrence between this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

3. Programming

malloc()

Some one please explain me what is Dynamic memory allocation and the use of malloc() function.How do we allocate memory dynamically and also the other way? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rash123
3 Replies

4. Programming

Malloc implementation in C

Hey Guys I am trying to implement the malloc function for my OS class and I am having a little trouble with it. I would be really grateful if I could get some hints on this problem. So I am using a doubly-linked list as my data structure and I have to allocate memory for it (duh...). The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gambit_b
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Malloc Implementation in C

Hey Guys Some of my friends have got together and we are trying to write a basic kernel similar to Linux. I am trying to implement the malloc function in C and I am using a doubly linked list as the primary data structure. I need to allocate memory for this link list (duh...) and I don't feel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
2 Replies

6. Programming

malloc vs realloc

Why when using realloc, john is reversed 3 times but not the other 2 names ? But if I use malloc, then the 3 names are reversed correctly ? (but then there is a memory leak) How can I reverse all 3 names without a memory leak ? char *BUFFER = NULL; char *STRREVERSE(const char *STRING) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kmalloc and malloc

Do kmalloc and malloc allocate from same heap ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

8. Programming

help with malloc [solved]

Hi i found code in google how to malloc an 2D array and i tried that : #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int **A; int **B; int main(int argc,char *argv) { printf("name of text : %s\n",argv); //read arrays int i,j; int l,m; int M,n; FILE *fp; fp=fopen(argv,"r"); ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
0 Replies

9. Programming

malloc vs new speed

Which one is faster among malloc and new? My understanding is that since new also has to call constructors after allocating memory it must be slower than malloc. Am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with malloc()

Good day! I'm a newbie in C. I'm trying to get an unlimited input from the user using malloc then printing the inputs after the user presses enter. My code works, but there's a warning that I don't know how to fix. Please help me. Thank you. Here's my code: #include <stdio.h> #include... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eracav
6 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Net::DNS::Question(3pm)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Question" DESCRIPTION
A "Net::DNS::Question" object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = Net::DNS::Question->new("example.com", "MX", "IN"); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa subdomains. parse ($question, $offset) = Net::DNS::Question->parse($data, $offset); Parses a question section record at the specified location within a DNS packet. The first argument is a reference to the packet data. The second argument is the offset within the packet where the question record begins. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. Parsing is aborted if the question object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). qname, zname print "qname = ", $question->qname, " "; print "zname = ", $question->zname, " "; Returns the domain name. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zname" and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype print "qtype = ", $question->qtype, " "; print "ztype = ", $question->ztype, " "; Returns the record type. In dymamic update packets, this field is known as "ztype" and refers to the zone type (must be SOA). qclass, zclass print "qclass = ", $question->qclass, " "; print "zclass = ", $question->zclass, " "; Returns the record class. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zclass" and refers to the zone's class. print $question->print; Prints the question record on the standard output. string print $qr->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. data $qdata = $question->data($packet, $offset); Returns the question record in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet. Arguments are a "Net::DNS::Packet" object and the offset within that packet's data where the "Net::DNS::Question" record is to be stored. This information is necessary for using compressed domain names. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c) 2003,2006-2009 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.14.2 2009-12-30 Net::DNS::Question(3pm)