Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Posix string to match [[0-999]] Post 86573 by Perderabo on Saturday 15th of October 2005 01:40:57 PM
Old 10-15-2005
grep "bad word" file1 file2 file3
Search for the phrase "bad word" in the files named "file1", "file2", and "file3".

grep bad word file1 file2 file3
Search for the word "bad" in the files named "word", "file1", "file2", and "file3".

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Better way to match string within a string

Hi, I'm trying to get one field out of many as follows: A string of multiple fields separated with "/" characters: "/ab=12/cd=34/12=ab/34=cd/ef=pick-this.one/gh=blah/ij=something/" I want to pick up the field "ef=pick-this.one" which has no regular pattern except it starts with "ef=xxxx"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate numbers 000 to 999

I have tried to make this script to generate: 000 001 002 ... 997 998 999 i=0 while do if then echo "00"$i else if && then echo "0"$i (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match all except string(s) in posix extended

How to say "match anything but this or that string" using only posix extended syntax? I am not talking about egrep -v, I want this done entirely by the regular expression. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print ALL lines except if field is 999

Hi All!!! :-) I need a command that will print each line of a text file UNLESS the 3rd field of that line is equal to the number 999. (space seperated fields) Solaris10/BASH SHELL: INPUT.TXT aaa bbb 111 222 ccc ddd 333 444 eee fff 999 555 ggg hhh 666 777 aaa bbb 999 222 ccc ddd 333... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match exactly a string

I am formatting my code and for that I am trying to write a script which can quicken some repetitive work. I need to match "==" exactly in a string and replace it by inserting a (single) blank space before and after it. Sample Strings: 1.this.something =='something'.that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec -- regular expression handler LIBRARY
Compatibility Library (libcompat, -lcompat) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char * re_comp(const char *s); int re_exec(const char *s); DESCRIPTION
This interface is made obsolete by regex(3). The re_comp() function compiles a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. The re_exec() function checks the argument string against the last string passed to re_comp(). The re_comp() function returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an error message is returned. If re_comp() is passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression. The re_exec() function returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error). The strings passed to both re_comp() and re_exec() may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by NULs. The regu- lar expressions recognized are described in the manual entry for ed(1), given the above difference. DIAGNOSTICS
The re_exec() function returns -1 for an internal error. The re_comp() function returns ``no previous regular expression'' or one of the strings generated by regerror(3). SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), ex(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), regex(3) HISTORY
The re_comp() and re_exec() functions appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD