Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cron not retaining TERM setting Post 86487 by Perderabo on Friday 14th of October 2005 01:19:57 PM
Old 10-14-2005
A program running under cron is not going to have a terminal at all. It is correct for TERM to not be set. Where do you expect the output to go? Setting TERM is probably a very bad idea. But if you must try that, the syntax varies with shell. Maybe this...

TERM=something; export TERM; /some/program

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting TERM variable

Does anybody know how to give a default TERM variable while telnetting to Solaris (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

2. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing and setting up cron jobs

How can I list the existing cron jobs in my system, and then how can I add my script to the cron jobs list? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job setting

hi all I had one script which i had put in /home/name/xxx.sh directory. I want to put it in cron job list means this script must be run on each day at morning 9 am. Kindly reply me all necessary change with exact path detail. Means where i had to do changes. Thanks in adavance. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a cron job

Greetings i am a newbie to this so kindly bear with me. I have a script to get weather information from a site and save that into a database. wget Cranfield Weather Forecast temp = $(cat wx.php | grep -o "Temperature.......") rm wx.php mysql -D "weather_wise" -e "insert into weather... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tererez
6 Replies

7. Solaris

cron tab setting

hi guys , i need some help i want to set cron job for every sunday , of each month so any body plz help or this proble :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kbharat20
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up More than One Cron Job

Hello, it is possible to setup two cron jobs to run at different frequencies? I have a cron job which runs from monday -friday every 5 mins .I also want to have one more cron job which runs on a sunday.. It it possible to have? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help setting up a CRON job

Okay I am not the best at UNIX, so please excuse this if it is a complete ID 10-T error (look at that for a moment...) Logging in via telnet to the server, I want to create a cron job to run various "canned reports" in SAS on a regular basis. No problem, I have the directories, .profile... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: RussellNonBrand
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up cron

Hi, The client wants to set up cronjob for trigger alerts to be sent between the hours of 6 AM PST and 12 AM PST . Could you please help me the command to setup cron. scriptname :- triggeralert.ksh Thanks in advance (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
16 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)