Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help me to remove the whitespaces between the lines ...urgent Post 86025 by kumar1 on Monday 10th of October 2005 08:44:36 AM
Old 10-10-2005
Dear Friends,
thanks for ur replis,

it will be a great help if u solve the following problem

I am using csplit to split the files,
i.e.,
csplit -f filetype_ -n 3 filename '/regexpn/' {5}
which will split file "filename" into 5 subfiles
filetype_000
filetype_001
filetype_002
filetype_003
filetype_004

but if I run the csplit commad again it will rewrite the previous subfiles.
What I need is to continue with existing files
i.e., if I run the csplit command,
it should continue to split files and produce follwoing subfiles
filetype_005
filetype_006
filetype_007
filetype_008
filetype_009

do not affecting
filetype_000
filetype_001
filetype_002
filetype_003
filetype_004

and finally I should have
filetype_000
filetype_001
filetype_002
filetype_003
filetype_004
filetype_005
filetype_006
filetype_007
filetype_008
filetype_009

please tell me how do I proceed.

Thanks in advance,
Kumar

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove a pkg ,urgent!!

HI all, I would like to know, how we can remove a package? I know that pkgrm will do the job ,but specifying the right kinda package is important.. And i dont know how to figure that one out? Eg:if i have installed a pkg called virtualbox, If i do, pkgrm SUNWvirtualbox ,it says "no such file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between comma separated fields from file

Hello all, I am a unix dummy. I am trying to remove spaces between fields. I have the file in the following format 12332432, 2345 , asdfsdf ,100216 , 9999999 12332431, 2341 , asdfsd2 ,100213 , 9999999 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinbjoshi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove whitespaces in the n first characters?

I assume removing whitespaces in the n first characters of a string would be an easy task for sed? If so, how? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidCactus
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent - XML Attribute Remove

Hi I have got a XML file which has got content as follows: <FUNCall81110000 Tag="81110000" CallDate="25/08/11" CallTime="00:03:22" TotalUsageValue="30" MeasurementUnit="1"/> I want to remove TotalUsageValue="30" only and TotalUsageValue="XXXXX" here XXX can be any value. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muchyog
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Urgent : please remove the names from the post

Hi Sir, There is an escalation going on this and could you please remove the words from the following link . this is really critical. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/196647-remove-headings.html please remove following terms fiappl17dev fiappl18dev ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between delimiter and characters

Hello All, I have a pipe delimited file and below is a sample data how it looks: CS123 | | || 5897 | QXCYN87876 As stated above, the delimited files contains sometimes only spaces as data fields and sometimes there are extra spaces before/after numeric/character data fields. My requirement... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
4 Replies
CSPLIT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         CSPLIT(1)

NAME
csplit - split a file into sections determined by context lines SYNOPSIS
csplit [OPTION]... FILE PATTERN... DESCRIPTION
Output pieces of FILE separated by PATTERN(s) to files 'xx00', 'xx01', ..., and output byte counts of each piece to standard output. Read standard input if FILE is - Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --suffix-format=FORMAT use sprintf FORMAT instead of %02d -f, --prefix=PREFIX use PREFIX instead of 'xx' -k, --keep-files do not remove output files on errors --suppress-matched suppress the lines matching PATTERN -n, --digits=DIGITS use specified number of digits instead of 2 -s, --quiet, --silent do not print counts of output file sizes -z, --elide-empty-files remove empty output files --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Each PATTERN may be: INTEGER copy up to but not including specified line number /REGEXP/[OFFSET] copy up to but not including a matching line %REGEXP%[OFFSET] skip to, but not including a matching line {INTEGER} repeat the previous pattern specified number of times {*} repeat the previous pattern as many times as possible A line OFFSET is a required '+' or '-' followed by a positive integer. AUTHOR
Written by Stuart Kemp and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report csplit translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/csplit> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) csplit invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 CSPLIT(1)