Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help me to remove the whitespaces between the lines ...urgent Post 85592 by monsanbu on Thursday 6th of October 2005 06:53:46 AM
Old 10-06-2005
Hi,

Try this command

Code:

grep -v '^$' remove_wp.txt | sed -e 's/ //g' -e 's/    //g' | sed 'N;N;s/\n//g'

-Mons

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove a pkg ,urgent!!

HI all, I would like to know, how we can remove a package? I know that pkgrm will do the job ,but specifying the right kinda package is important.. And i dont know how to figure that one out? Eg:if i have installed a pkg called virtualbox, If i do, pkgrm SUNWvirtualbox ,it says "no such file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between comma separated fields from file

Hello all, I am a unix dummy. I am trying to remove spaces between fields. I have the file in the following format 12332432, 2345 , asdfsdf ,100216 , 9999999 12332431, 2341 , asdfsd2 ,100213 , 9999999 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinbjoshi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove whitespaces in the n first characters?

I assume removing whitespaces in the n first characters of a string would be an easy task for sed? If so, how? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidCactus
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank lines and merge lines in shell

Hi, I'm not a expert in shell programming, so i've come here to take help from u gurus. I'm trying to tailor a csv file that i got to make it work for the LOAD FROM command. I've a datatable csv of the below format - --in file format xx,xx,xx ,xx , , , , ,,xx, xxxx,, ,, xxx,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent - XML Attribute Remove

Hi I have got a XML file which has got content as follows: <FUNCall81110000 Tag="81110000" CallDate="25/08/11" CallTime="00:03:22" TotalUsageValue="30" MeasurementUnit="1"/> I want to remove TotalUsageValue="30" only and TotalUsageValue="XXXXX" here XXX can be any value. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muchyog
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Urgent : please remove the names from the post

Hi Sir, There is an escalation going on this and could you please remove the words from the following link . this is really critical. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/196647-remove-headings.html please remove following terms fiappl17dev fiappl18dev ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between delimiter and characters

Hello All, I have a pipe delimited file and below is a sample data how it looks: CS123 | | || 5897 | QXCYN87876 As stated above, the delimited files contains sometimes only spaces as data fields and sometimes there are extra spaces before/after numeric/character data fields. My requirement... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)