Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem Installing (elite help please) Post 84813 by GXDeMoNN on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 07:23:46 PM
Old 09-28-2005
what i found

Serial ATA (SATA) chipsets - Linux support status

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Problem: Serial ATA (also known as S-ATA or SATA) chipsets are rapidly replacing legacy "parallel ATA" (PATA, i.e., regular ATA/133) chipsets - but many Linux installers' kernels don't yet support many Serial ATA chipsets. If yours isn't supported, you have an installation obstacle. SUSE Linux 9.3 and later's installation kernel, Fedora Core 3 and later's, CentOS 4.1 and later's, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and later, Gentoo Linux 2004.3 and later's, Knoppix 3.7 and later's, Debian 3.1/sarge and later's (especially when started with the "bf2.6 boot flavour" boot image), Slackware 10.2 w/test26.s boot option, Xandros Desktop OS 3.0 and later's, Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) Linux 5.04 "hoary hedgehog" and later's, Vector Linux 5.1 and later's, Libranet 3.0 and later's, MEPIS Linux 3.3.1 and later's, Kanotix 2005-03 and later's, Linspire 5.0 and later's, PCLinux OS preview .81 and later's, ArkLinux's, and Mandriva Linux 2005 and later's all have a good selection of the required drivers. Scott Kveton's Debian netinst image does, likewise - see Links/Resources.

Note: There is no such thing as a distribution or its installer (generically) "having SATA support" (or not). Please send anyone speaking in such terms to this page. (Some SATA chipsets have been supported since practically forever, as their programming interfaces are unchanged from PATA predecessors. Others are brand-new and require new drivers from scratch.)

There are three workaround options:

1. Switch the motherboard BIOS back to "legacy ATA mode" (parallel ATA = PATA). Complete a Linux installation. Fetch or build a kernel with support for your chipset. Switch the BIOS setting back. (Potential catch: It's claimed that Dell Optiplex GX270 and Dell Precision Workstation 360 desktop units, using Intel ICH5 SATA-I chipsets, don't support switching to legacy ATA mode. This might be true of some others.)

2. Rebuild your installer using kernel 2.4.27 or later, which includes libata, desirable since it adds many new chipsets and gives a (potential, subject to physical read limits, etc.) ~10M/s speed boost to some others compared to the quite slow 2.4.x drivers/ide set.

3. Temporarily add a regular PATA drive to your system. Install Linux onto that. Fetch or build a kernel with support for your chipset. Migrate your system to the SATA drives.

now if i was working with linux or unix before maybe i'd understand some of that nonesence, but fact is, i never used it so i cant make my own kernel, nor do i know what a PATA is, and that legacy does not work

any OTHER bright ideas?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem installing openssh v2.9-p2

I am trying to install openssh v2.9-p2 on Solaris 8. I already installed zlib and openssl, as required in INSTALL file. But when I issue ./configure to configure openssh v2.9-p2 for my platform ( I got the sources), it stops in the folowing message: checking for OpenSSL directory... configure:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: htsubamoto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
2 Replies

3. Solaris

problem installing pine

when i try to build pine unix tells me it can't find make # ./build xxx make args are CC=cc soc Including LDAP functionality ln: cannot create c-client: File exists ln: cannot create mtest: File exists ln: cannot create mailutil: File exists ln: cannot create imapd: File exists ln:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vutty81
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem installing gdbm

I'm trying to install gdbm on a MacPro running Leopard. But when I do the make install, I get this error: /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 -o root -g root gdbm.h \ /usr/include/gdbm.h install: root: Invalid argument make: *** Error 67 Any ideas? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shan Hollen
1 Replies

5. BSD

Problem with re-installing ports

Hello, I am fairly new at FreeBSD. I tried searching existing topics for a similar problem, but I found none :) I have a problem reinstalling apache22 which I had to remove in my troubleshooting with mysql. Since I've got MySQL working now (joy unbounded!) I now have the task of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brightstorm
3 Replies

6. Solaris

problem while installing on X-86

Hi all, I tried to install Sun Solaris 10 on a X-86 based machine. I have dedicated entire diskspace to create auto partition. My hardware config is below: Main Board : Asus Processor : Intel 945 , 3 G/Hz RAM : 1 Gigs Diskspace : 80 Gigs When I install, installation goes successful.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Problem installing companion CD

Hi everyone, Im very new to solaris and im trying to install the companion CD remotly via telent on my sunfire V120 server i have running. I download the iso off the net then burned it to cd. I have tried various how to's.. but its still not working.. The commands they tell me to imput come... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smitty944
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Problem Installing Oracle 8i

System Model and Spec Sun Enterprise 420R Processor Speed: 450 MHz (4 processors) Installed RAM: 4 GB Os: Solaris 8 Sparc I successfully installed standard oracle 8i setup on our database server specs above but after installation was competed and it went to creating database I got the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
2 Replies

9. Linux

Problem installing htpasswd2

Hey everyone! So as i finished setting up my apache2 server, I wanted to look into some basic authentication for the web page. I found a great guide on apache.org. The problem now is, the htpasswd2 file that i need to create and store users, is in a weird format. It is displaying as : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxIntern445
3 Replies
SIIS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   SIIS(4)

NAME
siis -- SiliconImage Serial ATA Host Controller driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device siis Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): siis_load="YES" The following tunables are settable from the loader(8): hint.siis.X.msi controls Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) usage by the specified controller. hint.siisch.X.pm_level controls SATA interface Power Management for the specified channel, allowing some power to be saved at the cost of additional command latency. Possible values: 0 interface Power Management is disabled (default); 1 device is allowed to initiate PM state change, host is passive. Note that interface Power Management is not compatible with device presence detection. A manual bus reset is needed on device hot-plug. hint.siisch.X.sata_rev setting to nonzero value limits maximum SATA revision (speed). Values 1, 2 and 3 are respectively 1.5, 3 and 6Gbps. DESCRIPTION
This driver provides the CAM(4) subsystem with native access to the SATA ports of controller. Each SATA port is represented to CAM as a sep- arate bus with 16 targets. Most of the bus-management details are handled by the SATA-specific transport of CAM. Connected ATA disks are handled by the ATA protocol disk peripheral driver ada(4). ATAPI devices are handled by the SCSI protocol peripheral drivers cd(4), da(4), sa(4), etc. Driver features include support for Serial ATA and ATAPI devices, Port Multipliers (including FIS-based switching), hardware command queues (31 command per port), Native Command Queuing, SATA interface Power Management, device hot-plug and Message Signaled Interrupts. Same hardware is also supported by the atasiliconimage driver from ata(4) subsystem. If both drivers are loaded at the same time, this one will be given precedence as the more functional of the two. HARDWARE
The siis driver supports the following controllers: o SiI3124 o SiI3132 o SiI3531 SEE ALSO
ada(4), ata(4), cam(4), cd(4), da(4), sa(4) HISTORY
The siis driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. AUTHORS
Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
July 18, 2009 BSD