Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic SFTP questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Basic SFTP questions Post 84728 by RTM on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 09:01:36 AM
Old 09-28-2005
SFTP, or secure FTP, is a program that uses SSH to transfer files. Unlike standard FTP, it encrypts both commands and data, preventing passwords and sensitive information from being transmitted in the clear over the network. It is functionally similar to FTP, but because it uses a different protocol, you can't use a standard FTP client to talk to an SFTP server, nor can you connect to an FTP server with a client that supports only SFTP.

1) Do Solaris machines come with a SFTP server and client already installed.
No
2) If so would I have to install SFTP clients on windows, if I want to transfer files to a Solaris box?
Yes
3) If SFTP doesn't come prepackaged would I have to purchase a SFTP server?
No, you can find and download Openssh for free and put it on a server you already have.
4) Is SFTP simply FTP over SSH for encryption?
No

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic UNIX questions

Can somebody please tell me a little about UNIX OS. For instance, is it ideal for digital media or how easy is it to get help and support? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buk5d
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Questions

OK, here's a question from a true UNIX newb: How does one make a 20 line file? I'm lost. :confused: OK, I figured it out. :D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kitchen Zinc
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some basic questions

Hi- Newbie here with some basic questions: 1) I can't get alias to work. I tried alias ll='ls -al', but it doesn't work. When just typing 'alias', the new definition doesn't appear. I'm in a bash shell -- is that the problem. I tried switching to csh, but that didn't seem to help. This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aworstell
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic security questions

Hey guys, I've seen this posted a few times when i searched but I kinda want to know the cleanest way of doing it. On Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 What is the best way to disable telnet ssh1 and remote root login premanently? I've seen posts that say edit /etc/services edit this edit that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic variable questions

when you see something like this export SOMEDATA=.:/somedir/files what does the ".:" mean? I think the the "." alone would mean current directory but the ":" together is kind of new to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp-ux basic questions

I have multiple questions How to list or find only Nov month's files? How can I get state of process like running, stop, or sleep etc? How can I check dependences of processes? plz ans any if u can thx regards, Mazhar Hussain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

some basic questions about unix ..

Hi all today i gone through worst interview of my life that for hour questions were so basic but i never though about them now i am figuring out answers my self but i would appreciate if you ppl help me ... i am listing some of the questions i remember .. 1 ) $ cat a.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic awk questions

I find an script with awk sitting around. I went through some online manuals, but I can't figure out exactly how it works. I can't post the whole program. Not allowed. This is the line that is confusing me. I get when else is in the script grep -v "^REM " $1| grep -v "JUNK;" | awk -F" "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies
CURLOPT_QUOTE(3)					     curl_easy_setopt options						  CURLOPT_QUOTE(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_QUOTE - (S)FTP commands to run before transfer SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_QUOTE, struct curl_slist *cmds); DESCRIPTION
Pass a pointer to a linked list of FTP or SFTP commands to pass to the server prior to your request. This will be done before any other commands are issued (even before the CWD command for FTP). The linked list should be a fully valid list of 'struct curl_slist' structs properly filled in with text strings. Use curl_slist_append(3) to append strings (commands) to the list, and clear the entire list after- wards with curl_slist_free_all(3). Disable this operation again by setting a NULL to this option. When speaking to a FTP server, prefix the command with an asterisk (*) to make libcurl continue even if the command fails as by default libcurl will stop at first failure. The set of valid FTP commands depends on the server (see RFC959 for a list of mandatory commands). The valid SFTP commands are: chgrp group file The chgrp command sets the group ID of the file named by the file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. The group operand is a decimal integer group ID. chmod mode file The chmod command modifies the file mode bits of the specified file. The mode operand is an octal integer mode number. chown user file The chown command sets the owner of the file named by the file operand to the user ID specified by the user operand. The user operand is a decimal integer user ID. ln source_file target_file The ln and symlink commands create a symbolic link at the target_file location pointing to the source_file location. mkdir directory_name The mkdir command creates the directory named by the directory_name operand. pwd The pwd command returns the absolute pathname of the current working directory. rename source target The rename command renames the file or directory named by the source operand to the destination path named by the target op- erand. rm file The rm command removes the file specified by the file operand. rmdir directory The rmdir command removes the directory entry specified by the directory operand, provided it is empty. statvfs file The statvfs command returns statistics on the file system in which specified file resides. (Added in 7.49.0) symlink source_file target_file See ln. DEFAULT
NULL PROTOCOLS
SFTP and FTP EXAMPLE
TODO AVAILABILITY
SFTP support added in 7.16.3. *-prefix for SFTP added in 7.24.0 RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_POSTQUOTE(3), CURLOPT_PREQUOTE(3), libcurl 7.54.0 February 25, 2016 CURLOPT_QUOTE(3)