Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reversing and trim a String through SHELL script Post 84704 by Perderabo on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 07:05:36 AM
Old 09-28-2005
DeepakXavier, please do read those rules. You should have posted a followup to your original thread, not start a new thread.

Vino, Linux does not have a Bourne shell. It has bash which is a superset of of the old Bourne shell. Bash is linked to sh for people who use the old Bourne shell. Your script is using bash-only stuff.

For ksh, try...
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

str="abcd"
rev=""
typeset -R1 last

while ((${#str})) ; do
        last=$str
        rev=${rev}${last}
        if ((${#str} > 1)) ; then
                typeset -L$((${#str}-1)) rest=$str
                str=$rest
        else
                str=
        fi
done
echo rev = $rev
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

output string in reversing order

If I have string { I_love_shell_scripts} anyone knows how to have output {stpircs_llehs_evol_I} by using shell and perl ?I know in perl, there is reverse() funcation, but can it be done by not using reverse()? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading and reversing a string

Hi Everyone....I am new to Unix and BASH programming...I just want to read a string and reverse it and display.....can anyone help me out???? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script to trim numeric values

Hello I am currently working on a shell script which actually needs to pull some file from a server , The filenames will have the extension with date/time stamp , i need to trim that and name it to proper format Example : xyz_20091108_22142365.gzip i need to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim a string in unix shell script

I am reading a string like $/folder1/folder2/filename from a file And I am storing it in a variable say $path. I want to store the path within single quotes in order to use the path within a command. if i set like path="'"$path"'" echo $path It is printing like ' $/folder1/folder2/filename'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Alert:Reversing part of a string?

Hello all, Wondering if anyone can help me out. Trying to cut the names out of the /etc/passwd file so that they can be displayed first then last name. I cut them out and put them into variables but cant get them to display side by side after cutting. Anyone able to help a newbie? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: losingit
1 Replies

7. Programming

Some error with number of keyboard inputs occured with this code for reversing a string..

i used a two-way linked list "node" for the code:: #include<stdio.h> #include<malloc.h> void insert(); void reverse(); struct node { char c; struct node *next; struct node *back; }*start=NULL; int main() { int n,i; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can i use trim in shell script ?

Hi, I am stuck at comparing a value from database with a space involved. Condition if (cust_code != "RAMK" && cust_code != "LML") { xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx } the cust_code is from a table and generally has 4 chars...so in the case of LML it comes with default space at the end. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TRIM a string in shell script

HI, I have a string "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" I want to get the string before -1 ie "NZ-deploy-mode" Input is "NZ-deploy-mode-1.15-Linux.x86_64.rpm" expected output is "NZ-deploy-mode" How can I do that in shell script? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim String

Hi, I wish to grep everything before the last "/bin" in the following string /opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07/bin/IA64N/java Desired output: "/opt/app/bin/app1/jdk150_07" Kindly help ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
DBVIEW(1)							Database Management							 DBVIEW(1)

NAME
dbview - View dBase III files SYNOPSIS
dbview [-b|--browse] [-d delim| --delimiter delim] [-D|--deleted] [-e|--description] [-h|--help] [-i|--info] [-o|--omit] [-v|--version] [-r|--reserve] [-t|--trim] dbfile DESCRIPTION
Dbview is a little tool that will display dBase III files. You can also use it to convert your old .dbf files for further use with Unix. It should also work with dBase IV files, but this is mostly untested. By default dbview displays the contents of a dBase III or IV database file. This is be done by displaying both the name of the field itself and its value. At the end of every record a newline is appended. OPTIONS
If no option given dbview only displays the database in its most friendly way. --browse, -b switches into browse mode. Using this mode no fieldnames will be displayed, instead every record will displayed in one line using a delimiter to separate fields. --delimiter, -d delimiter The default delimiter in browse mode is the colon sign ``:''. This parameter overrides it. This can be useful especially if you plan to examine the output with scripts. --deleted, -D displays deleted records as well as the delete state in each record in the database. --description, -e displays the field description of the database. --help, -h displays a complete (or short) help screen. --info, -i displays some (partially technical) information about the database like number of records and length of each record. --omit, -o omits displaying the whole database. Using this parameter can be useful if you're only interested in the structure. --reserve, -r Normally fieldnames are converted into a more friendly format. They are stored in capital letters, but that looks like shouting. This parameter supresses the conversion. --trim, -t When this option is specified, leading and trailing spaces are omitted. This might be useful when in browse mode. --version, -v displays version and exits. NOTES
As dBase is DOS, umlauts are stored using a different code table (namely ASCII) than most modern unices (namely ANSI). If you encounter such a file, I would recommend piping the output through recode(1) with ibmpc:latin1 as it's argument. If you want to examine the output generated by the browse mode, just take cut(1) and set its delimiter to the used delimiter or take awk(1) and continue. COPYRIGHT
Dbview is free software. It is based on routines from unknown source that I found on nic.funet.fi in /pub/msdos/languages/c as dbase.c. The file contained the following notice: These functions are provided by Valour Software as a gift. I have modified and included this file and wrote a skeleton around it. All together provides a powerful tool for dBase III and IV database manipulation under Unix. I mainly have written this program, because I've got several dbase files containing important information for me. As I won't go running DOS everytime I need some of the stored information, I had to find a viewer that runs unter Unix, resp. Linux, but unfortunately didn't find one. So it was my turn. This package as a whole is published under the GNU Public License, which is a great invention. It wasn't the intention to write a freaking viewer and reinvent the wheel again. Instead dbview is intend to be used in conjunction with your favourite unix text utilities like cut, recode and more. Martin Schulze Infodrom Oldenburg joey@infodrom.north.de SEE ALSO
recode(1), more(1), awk(1), cut(1). Unix November 20th, 2006 DBVIEW(1)