Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multiple cuts syntax problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiple cuts syntax problem Post 84685 by vino on Wednesday 28th of September 2005 01:51:20 AM
Old 09-28-2005
Instead of the external command cut, use the shell builtin to extract the info.

Code:
cut -c1 WAITING > col1          # type
cut -c2-6 WAITING > col2        # location code
cut -c7-10 WAITING > col3       # spec code

will change to 

while read line
do
col1=${line:0:1}
col2=${line:1:5}
col3=${line:6:3}
# after all processing is done
done < WAITING

Code:
cut -c28 WAITING > col6        # Male/Female/Unknown
sed -e s/1/Male/ -e s/2/Female/ -e s/0/Unknown/ col6 > col6a

will change to 

col6={$line:27:1}
if [[ "$col6" == "1" ]] ; then
col6a=Male
elif [[ "$col6" == "2" ]] ; then
col6a=Female
else col6a=Unknown
fi ;

Following the above patterns, you can replace the mv and cp command as
col15=${col15a}

From your awk statements it seems you are identifying blank lines. Change it to a if-else loop.

For paste,
Code:
echo "$col1 $col2... " > output.file

Now that you dont have any external files as well, you wouldnt need the rm

vino

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

dear friends, I have a large size file containg two fields data like this *** **** 122 222 ***** ***** ***** ***** 232 233 i have file like this. i want to remove blank lines from file . i think awk is servive this problem i wrote a awk command but the error is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

Dear friends, I am writing shell script in csh . i want to make arthimatic operation in csh. i wrote sysntax like this. set val = 230 set tmp = `0.1 * $val + 300` echo $tmp but it is not working . anyone please give me syntax. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Custom short cuts not working on JDS

Hello, I had created a shortcut to open up a gnome-terminal by pressing <Alt>m. This worked fine, until I logged out and logged back in. gnome-terminal no longer opens. However, the process is created, as evidenced by the gnome-terminal showing up on my process list. I've created and deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cooldude
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I write multiple variable syntax?

I am trying to write a script that will do a sql statement. But in the sql I will have a list (1,2,3,4). How would I go about asking for the input from the user running the script, and then transferring that back into the list as say ($var1,$var2,$var3)? It would be somewhat like this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Captain
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple echos and cuts too slow

Hi guys, hopefully this hasn't been asked before - couldn't see the question anywhere. I have a large number of timestamps (hh-mm-ss-millisecond) that I need to find the difference between e.g.: 14-11-07-513 14-11-07-644 Now the script that I have just knocked up is horrifically slow,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk if-else syntax with multiple columns

I can't seem to get this to work. I can reformat the date field if it's the first field (and only field) in the file: However, I get a syntax error when the date field is the second field (or has any other columns following): I can use a ";" but then it puts each column on separate... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if-else syntax

I'm calling the following if-else from nawk. But I keep getting an error at the "else". I've tried putting more brackets and ; but still I get complaints about the "else". Any ideas ? Thanks, wbrunc BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," } { if ( $8 ~ /A/ && $9 == B ) $1="4/29/2013" ; $2="J.Doe"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script cuts off early

I wasn't sure if this should go in the networking board or not, since I am trying to log into routers, however I don't think my script issues have anything to do with the routers themselves.... I am trying to write a script that will log into various routers we have on the network and determine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
2 Replies

9. AIX

Multiple DNS forwarders and syntax question.

Hey Guy's, Is there a limit on the number of forwards that can be used or the syntax and spaces? I noticed I have to put spaces between ; and the IP for at least the first one, then space at the end to work and the rest don't work at all no matter what I try. forward first; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devyn
1 Replies
MYSQLI_STMT.BIND_RESULT(3)						 1						MYSQLI_STMT.BIND_RESULT(3)

mysqli_stmt::bind_result - Binds variables to a prepared statement for result storage

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
bool mysqli_stmt::bind_result (mixed &$var1, [mixed &$...]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style bool mysqli_stmt_bind_result (mysqli_stmt $stmt, mixed &$var1, [mixed &$...]) Binds columns in the result set to variables. When mysqli_stmt_fetch(3) is called to fetch data, the MySQL client/server protocol places the data for the bound columns into the speci- fied variables $var1, .... Note Note that all columns must be bound after mysqli_stmt_execute(3) and prior to calling mysqli_stmt_fetch(3). Depending on column types bound variables can silently change to the corresponding PHP type. A column can be bound or rebound at any time, even after a result set has been partially retrieved. The new binding takes effect the next time mysqli_stmt_fetch(3) is called. PARAMETERS
o $ stmt -Procedural style only: A statement identifier returned by mysqli_stmt_init(3). o $var1 - The variable to be bound. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Object oriented style <?php $mysqli = new mysqli("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "world"); if (mysqli_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", mysqli_connect_error()); exit(); } /* prepare statement */ if ($stmt = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT Code, Name FROM Country ORDER BY Name LIMIT 5")) { $stmt->execute(); /* bind variables to prepared statement */ $stmt->bind_result($col1, $col2); /* fetch values */ while ($stmt->fetch()) { printf("%s %s ", $col1, $col2); } /* close statement */ $stmt->close(); } /* close connection */ $mysqli->close(); ?> Example #2 Procedural style <?php $link = mysqli_connect("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "world"); /* check connection */ if (!$link) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", mysqli_connect_error()); exit(); } /* prepare statement */ if ($stmt = mysqli_prepare($link, "SELECT Code, Name FROM Country ORDER BY Name LIMIT 5")) { mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt); /* bind variables to prepared statement */ mysqli_stmt_bind_result($stmt, $col1, $col2); /* fetch values */ while (mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt)) { printf("%s %s ", $col1, $col2); } /* close statement */ mysqli_stmt_close($stmt); } /* close connection */ mysqli_close($link); ?> The above examples will output: AFG Afghanistan ALB Albania DZA Algeria ASM American Samoa AND Andorra SEE ALSO
mysqli_stmt_get_result(3), mysqli_stmt_bind_param(3), mysqli_stmt_execute(3), mysqli_stmt_fetch(3), mysqli_prepare(3), mysqli_stmt_pre- pare(3), mysqli_stmt_init(3), mysqli_stmt_errno(3), mysqli_stmt_error(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQLI_STMT.BIND_RESULT(3)