Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD FreeBSD / KDE installation woes... Post 84620 by ForestryJim on Tuesday 27th of September 2005 03:22:41 PM
Old 09-27-2005
Solved

Turned out to be a hostname issue. Smilie Smilie

Edited /etc/hosts and added a "hostname=" line to rc.conf.

Nice. As you were...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do u remove a messed up freebsd boot installation?

i messed up while installing freebsd into a dual os wannabe system. Now, how do i del it( so i wouldn't get prompted to choose freebsd during boot?)so that i could try installing a different flavour of linux? cheers:eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coffeecoolers
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD 4.4 Uninstalling KDE or GNOME

Hey all :) I finally got around to installing FreeBSD 4.4, which considering it's my first attempt with *nix, didn't go too badly. I've managed to configure X and everything else, but I've got a bit of a problem, lol. I installed KDE and GNOME. I had a rough idea as to what they were, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

snort installation on freebsd issues

i'm following the, "How to setup and secure Snort, MySQL and Acid on FreeBSD 4.6 Release" off of the snort.org website. in the documentation it says snort should be installed through the following: ----- make -DWITH_MYSQL -DWITH_FLEXRESP ; make install ----- later it says to do the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
13 Replies

4. Linux

freeBSD installation

why is my new freeBSD hanging at setting up hostname each time I plug in the network cable i use host name like X.ng I intend to configure it as a gateway (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkinOkin
2 Replies

5. BSD

FreeBSD Installation problems

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Unix/Linux (though not to computing in general) and I'm having a few issues installing FreeBSD (v6.2). Firstly, I realise that it's not the most user-friendly of distros, especially for newbies, but it's what I'm required to install so unfortunately I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Techmonkey
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Horde Installation Woes for Centos 5.x

I am trying to learn how to install HORDE for work and I found this link: Installing Horde on Centos 5.x - William Lindley - wlindley.com I am at this step now: You'll need to use the MySQL root password. Then, in your database administration screen for MySQL, set the password for the new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s

I have now used FreeBSD from eh, 5.0??? But during that whole time I have never used xwindows or kde. My box's have always been servers of one type or another. I just set up a new BSD machine(8.0), and because I wanted to install boinc I knew that I would have to also install xwindows. Just the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: droolin
4 Replies

8. BSD

An installation script on freeBSD

Hello So i got my hands on some freebsd iso, installed it in a qcow2 image and installled git and bash. So far, so good. Git repositry retireved install script executed files got copied files have exec flag files are in $PATH / found by which / bash-completion works But still,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't boot FreeBSD after successful installation.

This is a cross post as I haven't got any solution and I'm badly in need of one. I've installed Slackware 14.2 in /dev/sda1 and x86Solaris 10 U6 in /dev/sda3 (sda2 is Linux swap)and boot menu was Solaris grub but, later deleted Solaris partition and installed FreeBSD12 (for i386) on the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)