Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multiple cuts syntax problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiple cuts syntax problem Post 84263 by Gerry405 on Friday 23rd of September 2005 10:08:19 AM
Old 09-23-2005
multiple cuts syntax problem

Hi All,

I need some help with multiple cut and paste, at the moment I have a shell script that uses the following cuts ( this is just some)

cut -c1-92 WAITING > col1 .....etc etc etc

cut -c93-98 WAITING > col17 # blank_spaces
cut -c99-104 WAITING > col18 # Date
cut -c105 WAITING > col19 # Canceled
cut -c106-109 WAITING > col20 # ????
cut -c111-116 WAITING > col21 # Date
cp col12 col12a
sed -e s/0/"No ASC"/ -e s/2/ASC/ col12a > col1
2bb
awk '{print NF ? $0 : blankrow}' blankrow="No ASC" col12bb > col12a
paste col[1-3] col3a col4 col4a col5 col6a col[7-9] col9a > test1
paste col1[0-1] col12a col12 col1[3-9]> test2
paste col2[0-1] T_formula > test3
paste test* > joined
etc Etc!

but it is too long winded unforunately though this is the only way I know, does anyone know of a quicker way to do this as it takes a very long time to run ...after doing all the cutting it pastes everything back into a newfile called "joined", but it just seems like a hassle and I thought someone out there must know of a better way to achieve the same results(bearing in mind it does some awking and find and replacing into the bargain

thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

dear friends, I have a large size file containg two fields data like this *** **** 122 222 ***** ***** ***** ***** 232 233 i have file like this. i want to remove blank lines from file . i think awk is servive this problem i wrote a awk command but the error is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

Dear friends, I am writing shell script in csh . i want to make arthimatic operation in csh. i wrote sysntax like this. set val = 230 set tmp = `0.1 * $val + 300` echo $tmp but it is not working . anyone please give me syntax. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Custom short cuts not working on JDS

Hello, I had created a shortcut to open up a gnome-terminal by pressing <Alt>m. This worked fine, until I logged out and logged back in. gnome-terminal no longer opens. However, the process is created, as evidenced by the gnome-terminal showing up on my process list. I've created and deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cooldude
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I write multiple variable syntax?

I am trying to write a script that will do a sql statement. But in the sql I will have a list (1,2,3,4). How would I go about asking for the input from the user running the script, and then transferring that back into the list as say ($var1,$var2,$var3)? It would be somewhat like this: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Captain
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple echos and cuts too slow

Hi guys, hopefully this hasn't been asked before - couldn't see the question anywhere. I have a large number of timestamps (hh-mm-ss-millisecond) that I need to find the difference between e.g.: 14-11-07-513 14-11-07-644 Now the script that I have just knocked up is horrifically slow,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk if-else syntax with multiple columns

I can't seem to get this to work. I can reformat the date field if it's the first field (and only field) in the file: However, I get a syntax error when the date field is the second field (or has any other columns following): I can use a ";" but then it puts each column on separate... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if-else syntax

I'm calling the following if-else from nawk. But I keep getting an error at the "else". I've tried putting more brackets and ; but still I get complaints about the "else". Any ideas ? Thanks, wbrunc BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," } { if ( $8 ~ /A/ && $9 == B ) $1="4/29/2013" ; $2="J.Doe"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script cuts off early

I wasn't sure if this should go in the networking board or not, since I am trying to log into routers, however I don't think my script issues have anything to do with the routers themselves.... I am trying to write a script that will log into various routers we have on the network and determine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
2 Replies

9. AIX

Multiple DNS forwarders and syntax question.

Hey Guy's, Is there a limit on the number of forwards that can be used or the syntax and spaces? I noticed I have to put spaces between ; and the IP for at least the first one, then space at the end to work and the rest don't work at all no matter what I try. forward first; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devyn
1 Replies
SYMPHONY(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYMPHONY(1)

NAME
symphony - mixed-integer linear program (MILP) solver SYNOPSIS
symphony [ -hagrtbd ] [ -u ub ] [ -p procs ] [ -n rule ] [ -v level ] [ -s cands ] [ -c rule ] [ -k rule ] [ -m max ] [ -l pools ] [ -i iters ] [ -f parameter_file_name ] [-j 0/1] [-o tree_out_file] DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly documents the symphony command. symphony is a generic MILP solver that can be invoked from the command line (through an interactive shell or in a batch mode), or by link- ing to the provided callable library. When no options are given symphony enters the interactive shell mode. Otherwise the program enters the batch mode, for which a summary of options is included below. OPTIONS
At a minimum, one must specify the name of the file to be read and solved. -h help -a no cut timeout -d enable graph drawing -g use cut generator -r do repricing in root -t trim the tree -b don't perform branch and cut -u ub use upper bound 'ub' -p procs allow 'procs' active nodes -n i use node selection rule 'i' -v i set verbosity to level 'i' -s cands use 'cands' candidates for strong branching -k i use rule 'i' to select child -m n allow a max of 'n' cuts to enter per iteration -e n allow a max of 'n' cut pools -l n k load balance level 'n' and iterations 'k' -i n allow a max of 'n' iterations in presolve -f file read parameters from parameter file 'file' -j 0/1 whether or not to generate cgl cuts -z n set diving threshold to 'n' -o file output vbc-like tree information to file 'file' Solver-specific switches: symphony [ -H ] [ -FL file ] -H help (solver-specific switches) -F model model should be read in from file 'model' (MPS format is assumed unless -D is also present) -L model LP format model should be read in from file 'model' -D data model is in AMPL format and data is in file 'data' SEE ALSO
For a complete description, see /usr/share/doc/coinor-libsymphony-doc/user-guide.pdf.gz in the coinor-libsymphony-doc package. AUTHOR
symphony was written by Ted Ralphs et.al. This manual page was written by Aramian Wasielak <aramian.wasielak@gmail.com>, based on "symphony -h" and clp.1, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Jan 21, 2010 SYMPHONY(1)