Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to schedule a job
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to schedule a job Post 84172 by zazzybob on Thursday 22nd of September 2005 07:53:42 AM
Old 09-22-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjustudy
hai ,

go to /etc
open crontab

specify
* * * * * roots /a/b/c/program name
the stars will be
1. minutes
2.hours.
3.day of the week
4.day of the month
5.month of the year

according what u specfied u can run the job

Smilie
Hmm... lots of incorrect and/or misleading information here.

Firstly, this is the system crontab (under Linux) - as can be seen by the additional field between the scheduling fields, and the command field. This field contains the username of the user as which the command is to run. Now, in this case, I assume the user "roots" is a standard user? If you're refering to the superuser, then the correct username is "root". Also, the ordering of the fields as you've described is way off.

1. minutes
2. hours
3. day of month
4. month
5. day of week

Is the correct ordering of the scheduling fields. Before posting a reply, check that it's correct. If you have any doubts, check the crontab manual page....

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Schedule job using cron(URGENT)

Hello All, I m newbie to Job scheduling. Suppose i have 2 files s1.sh and s2.sh i want to make a schedule such as run s1.sh at 2AM everyday and run s2.sh 9Pm everyday. Can anyone tell me how to schdule that using CRON and i want to know what is CRON and CRONTAB. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule a job using Crontab

I would like to execute my script at 17.30 and 23.00 using crontab, could anybody help me out!! Thanks in Advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatanig
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How would i schedule a job on ESX

Hi I m using a machine for VMWARE setup. machine details. #uname -a VMkernel testmachine.test.com 3.5.0 #1 SMP Release build-110271 Aug 12 2008 19:36:55 i686 unknown the problem is i m not able to schedule a job using crontab as crontab is not found on the machine. ~ # crontab -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

4. AIX

Schedule Job

how to schedule a job in aix, pls explain with cmd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule a Cron job

Hi all, I am new to cron jobs.. i wanted to schedule a cron job that wil send a mail to me at 3:00PM on 10th August ie is on Wednesday. 0 15 10 8 3 echo "message from UNIX here"|mail -s "your subject here" user@user.com However this was not executed... Can anyone please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Schedule a corn job

Hi, I new to cron job... I need to schedule a job that runs on a particular day at a specific time say for example need to send a test mail at around 2:30PM on wed 10th August i have used the below syntax, but the job was not executed. 30 14 * * * echo "message from UNIX... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Schedule a cron job

Hi, Can anyone help me out with scheduling a cron job for the below: i wnated to delete file from a folder on every sunday at 05:00 AM this is code i have used. ******************************************************* 0 05 * * 0 find /abc/xyz/pqrs/bak/ -type f -mtime +30 -exec rm -f... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

schedule job

Hi, I have a spcific box called abc in autosys and below that there are 2 jobs. my requirement is to run the abc box only on monday and rest of the day the rest of the jobs should be in success status.. ---------- Post updated at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

schedule a job without Cron

Hi All, Is there any way (any utility) to schedule a job to run once in a week on RedHat Linux ? Note- Do not using Crontab. Thanks Pravin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you schedule a job to run at 3:45 am every morning?

help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
2 Replies
tztab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  tztab(4)

NAME
tztab - time zone adjustment table for date and ctime() DESCRIPTION
The file describes the differences between Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and local time. Several local areas can be represented simul- taneously with historical detail. The file consists of one or more time zone adjustment entries. The first line of the entry contains a unique string that may match the value of the string in the user's environment. The format is where is the time zone name or abbreviation, diff is the difference in hours from UTC, and is the name or abbreviation of the "Daylight Savings" time zone. Fractional values of diff are expressed in minutes preceded by a colon. Each such string will start with an alphabetic character. The second and subsequent lines of each entry details the time zone adjustments for that time zone. The lines contain seven fields each. The first six fields specify the first minute in which the time zone adjustment, specified in the seventh field, applies. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first six are integer patterns that specify the minute (0-59), hour (0-23), day of the month (1-31), month of the year (1-12), year (1970-2038), and day of the week (0-6, with 0=Sunday). The minute, hour, and month of the year must contain a number in the (respective) range indicated above. The day of the month, year, and day of the week can contain a number as above or two numbers separated by a minus (indicating an inclusive range). Either the day of the month or the day of the week field must be a range, the other must be simple number. The seventh field is a string that describes the time zone adjustment in its simplest form: where is an alphabetic string giving the time zone name or abbreviation, and diff is the difference in hours from UTC. must match either the field or the field in the first line of the time zone adjustment entry. Any fractional diff is shown in minutes. Comments begin with a in the first column, and include all characters up to a newline. Comments are ignored. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The time zone adjustment table for the Eastern Time Zone in the United States is: Normally (as indicated in the first line) Eastern Standard Time is five hours earlier than UTC. During Daylight Savings time, it changes to a 4 hour difference. The first time Daylight Savings Time took effect (second line) was on January 6, 1974 at 3:00 a.m., EDT. Note that the minute before was 1:59 a.m., EST. The change back to standard time took effect (sixth line) on the last Sunday in November of the same year. At that point, the time went from 1:59 a.m., EDT to 1:00 a.m., EST. The transition to Daylight Savings Time since then has gone from the last Sunday in February (third line) to the last Sunday in April (fourth line) to the first Sunday in April (fifth line). The return to standard time for the same period has remained at the last Sunday in October (seventh line). AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
SEE ALSO
date(1), ctime(3C), environ(5). tztab(4)