Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem opening port 9998
Operating Systems AIX Problem opening port 9998 Post 83851 by erica057 on Tuesday 20th of September 2005 08:39:40 AM
Old 09-20-2005
Thank you bakunin! I see that I was getting my terminology confused; thank you for the explanation. Yes, I was trying to create a daemon that listens on port 9998. Here is what I did:

First, I added this to /etc/services

Code:
tcpTest     9998/udp

Then, I added this to inetd.conf

Code:
tcpTest  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /path/to/a.out  a.out

(yes, I know that a.out is a generic name, this is the path to a specific binary).

tcpTest is present when I type "smit inetdconf".

I tried first refreshing inetd.conf, then killing inetd.conf and restarting it, and it did not work. It does not show up when I type ps, nor when I telnet into port 9998, nor when I scan it with nmap. When I type "startsrc -s tcpTest", it says "0513-085 the tcpTest Subsystem is not on file". It works when I try to start, say, tftpd, so I'm not sure what file it is pulling from.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
--Erica

EDIT: I also tried adding it to inittab to no avail.

Last edited by erica057; 09-20-2005 at 12:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OPening A Port

My mail went down and the company told me to open port 110 on my server. How do I do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening port

i need to open port 1470. how do i do this. whats the command. This is on a solaris box. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ollyparkhouse
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening ssh port

I've got openssh installed but when i try to ssh to my machine i get a "port 22: connection refused" message. Do I need to add something to the hosts.allow file to allow ssh access in? I'm running Mandrake 8.1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gasaraki99
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a port on HPUX 11

7 I need to connect to a Unidata database using rpc on a HPUX 11 unix machine. The rpc software on Unidata uses port 31438 which does not appear to be available. How can I check the status of this port and activate it for tcp use? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkyBlue
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem Opening X-Clients in Solaris

Hi, I use hummingbird exceed9.0 to open active X-Server Sessions to Solaris(Sol9 SPARC) machines. I m able to open "Solaris desktops(CDE)" for all Solaris machines except a specific machine. Initially the XDMCP display manager chooser did not display (that) server in the list. I had to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
2 Replies

6. Programming

Opening a TCPIP Port with UNIX C

i am new to UNIX and C (primarilly a JDE and AS400/RPG developer). However, I need to find a way to send data to and from a web service from within a UNIX C program. What i would like to be able to do is to receive in a block of XML (from a non C application), wrap it, and then open a TCPIP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveBarber
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

problem opening TCP ports

Please can somebody help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1982 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

9. Programming

Problem in opening a file!

Hello All, I am new to programming in unix. I am trying to create a file by using open command. The entire file is : #include<fcntl.h> main(void){ int fd; fd = open("File1", O_CREAT|O_WRONLY, S_IRUSR|S_IWUSR|S_IRWXO); printf("%d ", fd); } The problem I am facing a strange problem.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with grep opening a file

Hello All, Here is my silly question on grep.. Here is my code.. DAY=$(date --date="yesterday" +%y.%m.%d) check "grep -h ' 404 ' /home/sathya/SystemOut.log /home/sathya/SystemOut_${DAY}*.log " Where check is alias which makes to run this command in all my Servers. When I execute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
3 Replies
recserv(1M)															       recserv(1M)

NAME
recserv - HP SharedX Receiver Service SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/recserv DESCRIPTION
HP SharedX Receiver Service provides a method for a receiver to allow the sharing of windows without explicitly performing any xhost com- mands. The Internet daemon (inetd(1M)) executes recserv when it receives a service request at the port listed in the services data base for recserv (see inetd(1m) and services(4)). When recserv is executed via inetd, a dialog box appears informing the receiver of the share request by the sender. The receiver can allow or disallow the share request by selecting the YES or NO button. recserv allows sharing by xhosting the sender just long enough for it to make a connection to the receiver. Once the connection is estab- lished recserv removes the sender from the access control list, unless the sender was entered in the list prior to the execution of rec- serv. Since no permanent change is made to the access control list, security is maintained at its highest level. To start recserv from the Internet daemon, the configuration file /etc/inetd.conf must include the single line entry, recserv stream tcp nowait bin /usr/lbin/recserv recserv -display :0 If the sharing is going to be done between IPv6 machines, the protocol field of the above entry in /etc/inetd.conf file of the receiver machine should be changed to tcp6 as follows recserv stream tcp6 nowait bin /usr/lbin/recserv recserv -display :0 and the services file /etc/services must include the line, recserv 7815/tcp # SharedX Receiver Service Receiver Service options, set by selecting the Options button, dictate the behavior of recserv. The behavior can also be set by running recserv manually. In either case, an X server resource is set dictating the behavior for subsequent invocations of recserv. OPTIONS
The following options allow different behavior according to user preferences. AlwaysAsk The dialog will pop up each time sharing is requested, regardless of the security on your X server. AlwaysAllow The dialog box never appears, but sharing will always be allowed. AskUnhosted The dialog will pop up only if the sender's machine is not hosted on your machine. If the sender's machine is already hosted, sharing will occur without a dialog appearing. NeverAsk The dialog will never appear. Windows are shared only if the sender's machine is already hosted by your server. To set resources (system behavior, label strings, etc) globally for a system, edit the file /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/RecServ. AUTHOR
HP SharedX Receiver Service was developed by Hewlett Packard. SEE ALSO
SharedX(1), inetd(1M), xhost(1), hosts(4), inetd.conf(4), inetd.sec(4), services(4). recserv(1M)