Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem opening port 9998
Operating Systems AIX Problem opening port 9998 Post 83795 by erica057 on Monday 19th of September 2005 08:06:51 PM
Old 09-19-2005
Problem opening port 9998

Hi there,

I have been trying to open port 9998 on an AIX 5.1 box to no avail. This machine is not connected to the internet and I have only been accessing it locally, so I know it's not a network firewall/proxy issue. I have tried editing /etc/services and inetd.conf, refreshing inetd.conf, and also starting the subsystem in smit. Still, the port is not open. Is there anything that I am missing? I've tried everything that I can think of (killing the inetd process and re-creating it, disabling IP security, etc.).

Thanks!
Erica

Last edited by erica057; 09-20-2005 at 12:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OPening A Port

My mail went down and the company told me to open port 110 on my server. How do I do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening port

i need to open port 1470. how do i do this. whats the command. This is on a solaris box. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ollyparkhouse
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening ssh port

I've got openssh installed but when i try to ssh to my machine i get a "port 22: connection refused" message. Do I need to add something to the hosts.allow file to allow ssh access in? I'm running Mandrake 8.1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gasaraki99
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a port on HPUX 11

7 I need to connect to a Unidata database using rpc on a HPUX 11 unix machine. The rpc software on Unidata uses port 31438 which does not appear to be available. How can I check the status of this port and activate it for tcp use? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkyBlue
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem Opening X-Clients in Solaris

Hi, I use hummingbird exceed9.0 to open active X-Server Sessions to Solaris(Sol9 SPARC) machines. I m able to open "Solaris desktops(CDE)" for all Solaris machines except a specific machine. Initially the XDMCP display manager chooser did not display (that) server in the list. I had to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
2 Replies

6. Programming

Opening a TCPIP Port with UNIX C

i am new to UNIX and C (primarilly a JDE and AS400/RPG developer). However, I need to find a way to send data to and from a web service from within a UNIX C program. What i would like to be able to do is to receive in a block of XML (from a non C application), wrap it, and then open a TCPIP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveBarber
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

problem opening TCP ports

Please can somebody help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1982 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Please help with opening a port??

Hello all, I need assistance... I need to open a port # 36677 and have it remain open even after a power cycle. I thought all I needed to do was add it to /etc/services. That was not it... Can someone please tell me how to do this. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
6 Replies

9. Programming

Problem in opening a file!

Hello All, I am new to programming in unix. I am trying to create a file by using open command. The entire file is : #include<fcntl.h> main(void){ int fd; fd = open("File1", O_CREAT|O_WRONLY, S_IRUSR|S_IWUSR|S_IRWXO); printf("%d ", fd); } The problem I am facing a strange problem.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with grep opening a file

Hello All, Here is my silly question on grep.. Here is my code.. DAY=$(date --date="yesterday" +%y.%m.%d) check "grep -h ' 404 ' /home/sathya/SystemOut.log /home/sathya/SystemOut_${DAY}*.log " Where check is alias which makes to run this command in all my Servers. When I execute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
3 Replies
SOCKET-CONTEXT-OPTIONS(3)						 1						 SOCKET-CONTEXT-OPTIONS(3)

Socket context options - Socket context option listing

Socket context options are available for all wrappers that work over sockets, like tcp, http and ftp.

o $bindto
		-  Used to specify the IP address (either IPv4 or IPv6) and/or the port number that PHP will use to access the network. The syntax
		is ip:port for IPv4 addresses, and [ip]:port for IPv6 addresses. Setting the IP or the port to 0 will let the system choose the IP
		and/or port.

Note

As FTP creates two socket connections during normal operation, the port number cannot be specified using this option.

o $backlog
		- Used to limit the number of outstanding connections in the socket's listen queue.

Note

This is only applicable to stream_socket_server(3).

+--------+-----------------+
       |Version |		  |
       |	|		  |
       |	|   Description   |
       |	|		  |
       | 5.3.3	|		  |
       |	|		  |
       |	|  Added backlog. |
       |	|		  |
       | 5.1.0	|		  |
       |	|		  |
       |	|  Added bindto.  |
       |	|		  |
       Example #1

Basic $bindto usage example

<?php
	      // connect to the internet using the '192.168.0.100' IP
	      $opts = array(
		  'socket' => array(
		      'bindto' => '192.168.0.100:0',
		  ),
	      );

// connect to the internet using the '192.168.0.100' IP and port '7000'
	      $opts = array(
		  'socket' => array(
		      'bindto' => '192.168.0.100:7000',
		  ),
	      );

// connect to the internet using the '2001:db8::1' IPv6 address
	      // and port '7000'
	      $opts = array(
		  'socket' => array(
		      'bindto' => '[2001:db8::1]:7000',
		  ),
	      );

// connect to the internet using port '7000'
	      $opts = array(
		  'socket' => array(
		      'bindto' => '0:7000',
		  ),
	      );

// create the context...
	      $context = stream_context_create($opts);

// ...and use it to fetch the data
	      echo file_get_contents('http://www.example.com', false, $context);

?>

PHP Documentation Group 												 SOCKET-CONTEXT-OPTIONS(3)