Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I match . (actual dot) using sed? Post 83730 by vino on Monday 19th of September 2005 09:12:20 AM
Old 09-19-2005
You need to escape it with a \

Look at this.

Code:
sh-2.05b$ cat jing.txt
test
test.match

Code:
sh-2.05b$ sed -n -e '/\./p' jing.txt
test.match

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I negate a sed match

I have a text file that has links in it. I can write a match for sed to replace the link with anything. For example: http://www.google.com becomes XxX But what I'm after is not to replace the link with something but to remove everything else and just leave the link. I want a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muxman
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed can't match '\n' ?!

Hi: it seems very strange. there is a file with multiple lines. After I squeezed out the consecutive blank lines (and some other text processing), somehow the sed '/\n/! d' file can not generate any output, as if it can't find any line with newline. the file is has many lines, so... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression doesn't match dot "." in a string

hello, I am writting a regular expression that intend to match any tunnel or serial interface but it doesn't mtach any serial sub-interface. For example, statement should match "Tunnel3" or "Serial0/1" but shouldn't match "Serial0\1.1" (doesn't include dot ".") I tried the following but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove a variable starting with dot using sed command

Hi, I want to remove a variable starting with dot(.) in a file using sed command. aaa sss .abc s/^\.abc/d I tried this but it didnt worked. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed - add space between dot and letter

I need to change . into . so that e.g. A.Jbecomes A. JI have tried sed 's/\./\.\ /g' but that didn't work. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Exact Match when Dot is present

I am trying to replace exact word from my text. I know using the angled brackets does the trick. But it is not working when there is a dot in the text. echo "Bottle BottleWater Bottle Can" | sed 's/\<Bottle\>//g' BottleWater CanBut if my data has a dot or hash in it, it replaces all the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - search and replace whole string which contains dot

Hello. I would like to search exactly "string1.string2.string3" and replace it by "new_string1.new_string2.new_string3" And I would like to search exactly "string2.string3" and replace it by "new_string2.new_string3" And I would not found in the result : "string1.new_string2.new_string3"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed match

Hi can anyone help with the following: echo "Date range on 5th May is between -010516 and 050516- please continue "| sed 's/\(.*-\)\(.*-\)\(.*$\)/\2/' output 010516 and 050516- What i need is to include the - to be included. Desired output: -010516 and 050516- I know... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy391791
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting out of sed on first NOT match

i have a large file where i want to look for any record that is is larger or smaller than 21 and if it is the case i want to report and break SED .. how can i achieve it ? i dont want sed to scan the complete file after one non match is found. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boncuk
4 Replies
HOSTNAME(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual					       HOSTNAME(7)

NAME
hostname -- host name resolution description DESCRIPTION
Hostnames are domains, where a domain is a hierarchical, dot-separated list of subdomains; for example, the machine monet, in the Berkeley subdomain of the EDU subdomain of the Internet would be represented as monet.Berkeley.EDU (with no trailing dot). Hostnames are often used with network client and server programs, which must generally translate the name to an address for use. (This func- tion is generally performed by the library routine gethostbyname(3).) Hostnames are resolved by the Internet name resolver in the following fashion. If the name consists of a single component, i.e., contains no dot, and if the environment variable ``HOSTALIASES'' is set to the name of a file, that file is searched for any string matching the input hostname. The file should consist of lines made up of two white-space sepa- rated strings, the first of which is the hostname alias, and the second of which is the complete hostname to be substituted for that alias. If a case-insensitive match is found between the hostname to be resolved and the first field of a line in the file, the substituted name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name ends with a trailing dot, the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up with no further processing. If the input name does not end with a trailing dot, it is looked up by searching through a list of domains until a match is found. The default search list includes first the local domain, then its parent domains with at least 2 name components (longest first). For example, in the domain CS.Berkeley.EDU, the name lithium.CChem will be checked first as lithium.CChem.CS.Berkeley.EDU and then as lithium.CChem.Berke- ley.EDU. Lithium.CChem.EDU will not be tried, as there is only one component remaining from the local domain. The search path can be changed from the default by a system-wide configuration file (see resolver(5)). SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), resolver(5), mailaddr(7) HISTORY
Hostname appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
December 25, 2013 BSD