Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Firewall Ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity Firewall Ports Post 83398 by pressy on Wednesday 14th of September 2005 01:05:03 PM
Old 09-14-2005
Smilie
i would say no, with no additional features a firewall should only act as a "router". if you have some features like intrusion detection, Application-layer security, VPN so&so&so&so, it could be slower than a "normal" router, but to be honest, i cannot believe that in that situation port 80 is faster than another one....

gP

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

What Firewall do you use?

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of people here use Linux IPTables as their firewall. Anyone here use something else like OpenBSD PF or *BSD IPF, IPFW? I'm quite fond of OpenBSD and their Packet Filters. I find their syntax much easier to manage and from my personal experience, I find them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarballed
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Looking Out from Behind a Firewall

Would it be possible to restrict access to internet pages in the following way? A machine: IP = 128.1.17.123 Only pages from domains of the type "go.jp" and "ne.jp" are viewable. All others are not viewable or only partly viewable. B machine: IP = 128.1.17.146 Regardless of the domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mntamago
4 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

help with firewall

hi everyone I am a newbee to firewall scripting. cannot understand how to write rules per host. in ip6tables. anyone plz:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xecutioner
2 Replies

5. AIX

Firewall

:b:Hi,, How do configure firewall in aix.. similar to linux iptable. Rgards, k.sumathi. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

6. SuSE

Firewall

Is there a command line interface to the firewall? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

7. Linux

Firewall?

Dear All I have put my windows machine behind my centos firewall server with just one NIC. At now, the windows machine can ping 192.9.9.3 but cannot resolve valid url (like www.google.com). I have set DNS for it as well. Can you please let me know what is the missing step? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Firewall

Hey Guys, I am looking for a good firewall software to implement in medium/large office, with at least 150 users. I was hopping you guys could help me on this one. Regards, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevicente
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have firewall rules to open ports, why telnet refuses connection?

Alright... this question comes from the fact that I'm trying to setup postfix to relay messages to Office 365 SMTP but its giving me connection refused... I read that if you have doubts if your port is open or not you should telnet to them so thats what I did. This is a Red Hat 6.3 box. My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
4 Replies
PUSH(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   PUSH(8)

NAME
push -- fetch mail via POP SYNOPSIS
push [-5 | --krb5] [-v | --verbose] [-f | --fork] [-l | --leave] [--from] [-c | --count] [--headers=headers] [-p port-spec | --port=port-spec] po-box filename DESCRIPTION
push retrieves mail from the post office box po-box, and stores the mail in mbox format in filename. The po-box can have any of the follow- ing formats: 'hostname:username' 'po:hostname:username' 'username@hostname' 'po:username@hostname' 'hostname' 'po:username' If no username is specified, push assumes that it's the same as on the local machine; hostname defaults to the value of the MAILHOST environ- ment variable. Supported options: -5, --krb5 use Kerberos 5 (if compiled with support for Kerberos 5) -f, --fork fork before starting to delete messages -l, --leave don't delete fetched mail --from behave like from. -c, --count first print how many messages and bytes there are. --headers=headers a list of comma-separated headers that should get printed. -p port-spec, --port=port-spec use this port instead of the default 'kpop' or '1109'. The default is to first try Kerberos 5 authentication and then, if that fails, Kerberos 4. ENVIRONMENT
MAILHOST points to the post office, if no other hostname is specified. EXAMPLES
$ push cornfield:roosta ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box tries to fetch mail for the user roosta from the post office at ``cornfield'', and stores the mail in ~/.emacs-mail-crash-box (you are using Gnus, aren't you?) $ push --from -5 havregryn tries to fetch From: lines for current user at post office ``havregryn'' using Kerberos 5. SEE ALSO
from(1), pfrom(1), movemail(8), popper(8) HISTORY
push was written while waiting for movemail to finish getting the mail. HEIMDAL
May 31, 1998 HEIMDAL