Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Firewall Ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity Firewall Ports Post 83350 by cocolsmith on Wednesday 14th of September 2005 08:22:47 AM
Old 09-14-2005
Firewall Ports

Could someone please settle an inter-office argument? Will your network traffic be slower through a firewall on any other port other than port 80. In other words, is port 80 faster than any other port you open on the firewall. I say no. Thanks in advance for the help!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

What Firewall do you use?

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of people here use Linux IPTables as their firewall. Anyone here use something else like OpenBSD PF or *BSD IPF, IPFW? I'm quite fond of OpenBSD and their Packet Filters. I find their syntax much easier to manage and from my personal experience, I find them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarballed
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Looking Out from Behind a Firewall

Would it be possible to restrict access to internet pages in the following way? A machine: IP = 128.1.17.123 Only pages from domains of the type "go.jp" and "ne.jp" are viewable. All others are not viewable or only partly viewable. B machine: IP = 128.1.17.146 Regardless of the domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mntamago
4 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

help with firewall

hi everyone I am a newbee to firewall scripting. cannot understand how to write rules per host. in ip6tables. anyone plz:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xecutioner
2 Replies

5. AIX

Firewall

:b:Hi,, How do configure firewall in aix.. similar to linux iptable. Rgards, k.sumathi. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

6. SuSE

Firewall

Is there a command line interface to the firewall? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

7. Linux

Firewall?

Dear All I have put my windows machine behind my centos firewall server with just one NIC. At now, the windows machine can ping 192.9.9.3 but cannot resolve valid url (like www.google.com). I have set DNS for it as well. Can you please let me know what is the missing step? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Firewall

Hey Guys, I am looking for a good firewall software to implement in medium/large office, with at least 150 users. I was hopping you guys could help me on this one. Regards, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevicente
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have firewall rules to open ports, why telnet refuses connection?

Alright... this question comes from the fact that I'm trying to setup postfix to relay messages to Office 365 SMTP but its giving me connection refused... I read that if you have doubts if your port is open or not you should telnet to them so thats what I did. This is a Red Hat 6.3 box. My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
4 Replies
rpc.statd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      rpc.statd(8)

NAME
rpc.statd - NSM status monitor SYNOPSIS
/sbin/rpc.statd [-F] [-d] [-?] [-n name ] [-o port ] [-p port ] [-V] DESCRIPTION
The rpc.statd server implements the NSM (Network Status Monitor) RPC protocol. This service is somewhat misnomed, since it doesn't actu- ally provide active monitoring as one might suspect; instead, NSM implements a reboot notification service. It is used by the NFS file locking service, rpc.lockd, to implement lock recovery when the NFS server machine crashes and reboots. Operation For each NFS client or server machine to be monitored, rpc.statd creates a file in /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm. When starting, it iterates through these files and notifies the peer rpc.statd on those machines. OPTIONS
-F By default, rpc.statd forks and puts itself in the background when started. The -F argument tells it to remain in the foreground. This option is mainly for debugging purposes. -d By default, rpc.statd sends logging messages via syslog(3) to system log. The -d argument forces it to log verbose output to stderr instead. This option is mainly for debugging purposes, and may only be used in conjunction with the -F parameter. -n, --name name specify a name for rpc.statd to use as the local hostname. By default, rpc.statd will call gethostname(2) to get the local hostname. Specifying a local hostname may be useful for machines with more than one interfaces. -o, --outgoing-port port specify a port for rpc.statd to send outgoing status requests from. By default, rpc.statd will ask portmap(8) to assign it a port number. As of this writing, there is not a standard port number that portmap always or usually assigns. Specifying a port may be useful when implementing a firewall. -p, --port port specify a port for rpc.statd to listen on. By default, rpc.statd will ask portmap(8) to assign it a port number. As of this writ- ing, there is not a standard port number that portmap always or usually assigns. Specifying a port may be useful when implementing a firewall. -? Causes rpc.statd to print out command-line help and exit. -V Causes rpc.statd to print out version information and exit. TCP_WRAPPERS SUPPORT This rpc.statd version is protected by the tcp_wrapper library. You have to give the clients access to rpc.statd if they should be allowed to use it. To allow connects from clients of the .bar.com domain you could use the following line in /etc/hosts.allow: statd: .bar.com You have to use the daemon name statd for the daemon name (even if the binary has a different name). For further information please have a look at the tcpd(8) and hosts_access(5) manual pages. FILES
/var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/state /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/* /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm.bak/* SEE ALSO
rpc.nfsd(8), portmap(8) AUTHORS
Jeff Uphoff <juphoff@transmeta.com> Olaf Kirch <okir@monad.swb.de> H.J. Lu <hjl@gnu.org> Lon Hohberger <hohberger@missioncriticallinux.com> 08 Mar 2001 rpc.statd(8)