Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reload kernal without reboot
Operating Systems Linux reload kernal without reboot Post 83306 by Corona688 on Tuesday 13th of September 2005 10:40:09 PM
Old 09-13-2005
limits.conf is applied during login, not reboot afaik. So restarting the services rather than the whole computer ought to work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reload Servlet in Tomcat

does anyone know how to reload servlet in tomcat? when do I actually reload it? when I modify any file in this server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamboy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to reload the shell session

Hi there, I got to find out that if I make changes in the prompt or command aliases from .bashrc, I could apply those changes immediately with the command: source ~/.bashrc There's another situation when I'd like to apply changes without loging out and in again: If I add someone to a group of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reload user crontab file

Hi Guys, Our user crontab files are located at /var/spool/cron/crontabs. I have to make some modifications to it. I have all the crontab entries in a file called 'crontab.actual'. I made changes to this file and now I want to reload these changes from the crontab.actual file to my crontab... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vandi
12 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Automatic reload of Thunar

I am using Thunar on FreeBSD 7.1 and XFCE. I would like the thunar window to reload automatically when a file has been added or deleted. Currently I press Ctrl-R, but perhaps a setting that I dont know of will do this automatically? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Kernal Parameters

Hi, Can you please let me know about kernal parameters? Where we can see that kernal parameters? we are using System = SunOS 5.10. Please let me know commands to see these kernal parameters file or files. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

reload vsftp service

Is there a easy-to-use graphical tool (or a simple and direct set of command line instructions) that will help me reload services on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES version 3? VSFTPD keeps dying on my business server - seemingly at random, with message "dead but subsys locked" VSFTPD starts and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdarby77
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to reload a zone

I just created a CNAME and i was told a zone needs to be reloaded after creating a CNAME. What is the command to reload a zone after the CNAME has been created? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: German Shepherd
1 Replies

8. AIX

Power5 9111-520 reload of AIX 6.1 - help needed

Hello all, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. We had a machine running AIX 6.1 that someone completely corrupted, so we decided to re-load it from media. I was able to boot into DVD media, select options for complete (destructive) install, AIX standard, etc. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesNJ
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Changed Forum Cookie Prefix (You May Need to Reload Your Cache)

Today we changed the prefix of our cookie and cleared the session table and all is working fine, at least on my end because I cleared my browser javascript cache. If you experience any strange behavior (you should not), please clear your javascript cache before posting a bug here. Note: I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh] how to reload history file without entering a command

I'm basically looking for the ksh equivalent of bash's PROMPT_COMMAND="history -r", where simply redrawing the command prompt in a terminal will cause ksh to reload the history file. At the risk of sounding incredibly lazy (in which case I would be guilty as charged), I've noticed that if I have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevuanFan
13 Replies
PAM_LIMITS(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						     PAM_LIMITS(8)

NAME
pam_limits - PAM module to limit resources SYNOPSIS
pam_limits.so [change_uid] [conf=/path/to/limits.conf] [debug] [utmp_early] [noaudit] DESCRIPTION
The pam_limits PAM module sets limits on the system resources that can be obtained in a user-session. Users of uid=0 are affected by this limits, too. By default limits are taken from the /etc/security/limits.conf config file. Then individual *.conf files from the /etc/security/limits.d/ directory are read. The files are parsed one after another in the order of "C" locale. The effect of the individual files is the same as if all the files were concatenated together in the order of parsing. If a config file is explicitly specified with a module option then the files in the above directory are not parsed. The module must not be called by a multithreaded application. If Linux PAM is compiled with audit support the module will report when it denies access based on limit of maximum number of concurrent login sessions. OPTIONS
change_uid Change real uid to the user for who the limits are set up. Use this option if you have problems like login not forking a shell for user who has no processes. Be warned that something else may break when you do this. conf=/path/to/limits.conf Indicate an alternative limits.conf style configuration file to override the default. debug Print debug information. utmp_early Some broken applications actually allocate a utmp entry for the user before the user is admitted to the system. If some of the services you are configuring PAM for do this, you can selectively use this module argument to compensate for this behavior and at the same time maintain system-wide consistency with a single limits.conf file. noaudit Do not report exceeded maximum logins count to the audit subsystem. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_ABORT Cannot get current limits. PAM_IGNORE No limits found for this user. PAM_PERM_DENIED New limits could not be set. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Cannot read config file. PAM_SESSION_ERR Error recovering account name. PAM_SUCCESS Limits were changed. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN The user is not known to the system. FILES
/etc/security/limits.conf Default configuration file EXAMPLES
For the services you need resources limits (login for example) put a the following line in /etc/pam.d/login as the last line for that service (usually after the pam_unix session line): #%PAM-1.0 # # Resource limits imposed on login sessions via pam_limits # session required pam_limits.so Replace "login" for each service you are using this module. SEE ALSO
limits.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7). AUTHORS
pam_limits was initially written by Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_LIMITS(8)