Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cobol On Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cobol On Unix Post 83173 by jim mcnamara on Monday 12th of September 2005 09:09:56 AM
Old 09-12-2005
What compiler are you using & what OS (Solaris, etc.)?

For example:
For MicroFocus Cobol you have to have certain directory names in the PATH variable.
You also have to declare a LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.

You may also have to define COBMODE.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Cobol linking in Unix

I'm trying to call a C mod from COBOL but I'm currently having difficulty linking my COBOL program with a C module that I've just developed. I've tried using cbllink -v -l -k -BSF CMPCACVN.cbl test.lib but I've got an error that states cbllink: not found. I've also tried using buildclient -C -w -o... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulfactory2002
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie's question about COBOL Installation in Unix

I wanna to install a COBOL on the AIX unix server. Would u like to tell me the disk usage of COBOL installation? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call to unix through cobol

hi everyone i want to run a script in unix through cobol program does anyone know how shell i do this ? please please help me here thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
8 Replies

4. Programming

cobol crn programme run on express cobol as .gnt

can i run .crn programme in express cobol which support to .gnt programme .... Plz tell me solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling script from RM cobol and returning value to cobol

Is there a way you can return a value from a script that is called from a rm cobol program... 01 WS-COMD-LINE-PGM X(39) value sh ./getUserId.sh 12345" 01 WS-RETURN-SYS-CODE PIC 9(8). CALL "SYSTEM" USING WS-COMD-LINE-PGM GIVING WS-RETURN-SYS-CODE. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavanmp
1 Replies

6. Programming

Acceessing DB2 UDB in AIX COBOL on unix

Hi , We are migrating our database from DB2 z/os to DB2 UDB on UNIX. and cobol on mainframes to AIX cobol on UNIX. We have some cobol Db2 programs that are accessing different Databases how do we code such type of programs in AIX cobol. Do we need to Establish connection for accessing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nal.satish
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripts "Load Error" with MicroFocus COBOL subprograms

When running our UNIX job scripts we randomly get the following 198 error below. When we restart the job it works fine. I haven't been able to recreate the problem in test, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with Cron or possibly a memory error or memory leak. I don't see anything... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthiele
5 Replies

8. Programming

UNIX system call in COBOL

Hi, The UNIX system call inside the COBOL program is doing the specified command correctly. MOVE W080-UNZIP-FILE-COMMAND TO W080-OUTPUT-COMMAND CALL "SYSTEM" USING W080-OUTPUT-COMMAND RETURNING W080-SYS-CALL-STATUS BUT The problem is, the following keeps on showing on the log file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyAV
2 Replies

9. Programming

UNIX commad in COBOL

Hi guys, i used the call "sytem" using ... in a cobol program. At the moment i stoped at an empasse, how cam I retrive the execution's result of unix command? Explenation, I made an 'pwd' command, and I must to have the directory inside the program. How can have this result? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prosy60
2 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Ms COBOL 2.2 for SCO UNIX

HI ALL, I'm searching Ms Cobol 2.2 for Sco Unix if anyone has it please kind enough to support me... Thanks in advance Rukshan:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
2 Replies
os(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition							  os(3erl)

NAME
os - Operating System Specific Functions DESCRIPTION
The functions in this module are operating system specific. Careless use of these functions will result in programs that will only run on a specific platform. On the other hand, with careful use these functions can be of help in enabling a program to run on most platforms. EXPORTS
cmd(Command) -> string() Types Command = string() | atom() Executes Command in a command shell of the target OS, captures the standard output of the command and returns this result as a string. This function is a replacement of the previous unix:cmd/1 ; on a Unix platform they are equivalent. Examples: LsOut = os:cmd("ls"), % on unix platform DirOut = os:cmd("dir"), % on Win32 platform Note that in some cases, standard output of a command when called from another program (for example, os:cmd/1 ) may differ, compared to the standard output of the command when called directly from an OS command shell. find_executable(Name) -> Filename | false find_executable(Name, Path) -> Filename | false Types Name = string() Path = string() Filename = string() These two functions look up an executable program given its name and a search path, in the same way as the underlying operating sys- tem. find_executable/1 uses the current execution path (that is, the environment variable PATH on Unix and Windows). Path , if given, should conform to the syntax of execution paths on the operating system. The absolute filename of the executable program Name is returned, or false if the program was not found. getenv() -> [string()] Returns a list of all environment variables. Each environment variable is given as a single string on the format "VarName=Value" , where VarName is the name of the variable and Value its value. getenv(VarName) -> Value | false Types VarName = string() Value = string() Returns the Value of the environment variable VarName , or false if the environment variable is undefined. getpid() -> Value Types Value = string() Returns the process identifier of the current Erlang emulator in the format most commonly used by the operating system environment. Value is returned as a string containing the (usually) numerical identifier for a process. On Unix, this is typically the return value of the getpid() system call. On VxWorks, Value contains the task id (decimal notation) of the Erlang task. On Windows, the process id as returned by the GetCurrentProcessId() system call is used. putenv(VarName, Value) -> true Types VarName = string() Value = string() Sets a new Value for the environment variable VarName . timestamp() -> {MegaSecs, Secs, MicroSecs} Types MegaSecs = Secs = MicroSecs = int() Returns a tuple in the same format as erlang:now/0 . The difference is that this function returns what the operating system thinks (a.k.a. the wall clock time) without any attempts at time correction. The result of two different calls to this function is not guaranteed to be different. The most obvious use for this function is logging. The tuple can be used together with the function calendar:now_to_universal_time/1 or calendar:now_to_local_time/1 to get calendar time. Using the calendar time together with the MicroSecs part of the return tuple from this function allows you to log timestamps in high resolution and consistent with the time in the rest of the operating system. Example of code formatting a string in the format "DD Mon YYYY HH:MM:SS.mmmmmm", where DD is the day of month, Mon is the textual month name, YYYY is the year, HH:MM:SS is the time and mmmmmm is the microseconds in six positions: -module(print_time). -export([format_utc_timestamp/0]). format_utc_timestamp() -> TS = {_,_,Micro} = os:timestamp(), {{Year,Month,Day},{Hour,Minute,Second}} = calendar:now_to_universal_time(TS), Mstr = element(Month,{"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul", "Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"}), io_lib:format("~2w ~s ~4w ~2w:~2..0w:~2..0w.~6..0w", [Day,Mstr,Year,Hour,Minute,Second,Micro]). The module above could be used in the following way: 1> io:format("~s~n",[print_time:format_utc_timestamp()]). 29 Apr 2009 9:55:30.051711 type() -> {Osfamily, Osname} | Osfamily Types Osfamily = win32 | unix | vxworks Osname = atom() Returns the Osfamily and, in some cases, Osname of the current operating system. On Unix, Osname will have same value as uname -s returns, but in lower case. For example, on Solaris 1 and 2, it will be sunos . In Windows, Osname will be either nt (on Windows NT), or windows (on Windows 95). On VxWorks the OS family alone is returned, that is vxworks . Note: Think twice before using this function. Use the filename module if you want to inspect or build file names in a portable way. Avoid match- ing on the Osname atom. version() -> {Major, Minor, Release} | VersionString Types Major = Minor = Release = integer() VersionString = string() Returns the operating system version. On most systems, this function returns a tuple, but a string will be returned instead if the system has versions which cannot be expressed as three numbers. Note: Think twice before using this function. If you still need to use it, always call os:type() first. Ericsson AB kernel 2.14.3 os(3erl)