Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pointer to structures
Top Forums Programming pointer to structures Post 83105 by pflynn on Saturday 10th of September 2005 08:30:49 PM
Old 09-10-2005
Quote:
static struct apvt {
int dead;
int pending;
int abouttograb;
}*agents=NULL;

what agents pointer is pointing to ?
It's pointing to nothing. It's just what one call a null pointer.

Quote:
struct apvt *p;
struct apvt *newlyavailable;
if (p == newlyavailable)

actually what are we try to test with this is it mean that both have the same location or so .. ?
Yes ! You got it Smilie . It's testing if both pointers points to the same structure. If so, their contents are the same.

Quote:
struct apvt *p;
p = agents;

so now what does this p refers to ... ?
p refers to the same location as agents does, that is, p is a NULL pointer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Programming using Structures

Hi All, I was given a format of a file, and was asked to write a program which displays the data contained in the file in that purticular format. Its all so confusing. Please find the example of the format as well the code I have written in the attachment. I hope any one of u guyz can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
0 Replies

2. Programming

Problem with pointers, structures, and Pthread

Hello all, I'm working on a small wrapper library for a bigger project, and i've been killing my self over (what I think is) a pointer problem. Here is the code (I extracted the part of the code where the problem is for better reading, I tested the code below, and I get the same problem):... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmp0
13 Replies

3. Linux

about system structures

hello can any1 plz tell me about the system defined structures (like sysinfo) which wil give system and n/w charecteristics (ex: freeram in sysinfo). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeenat
1 Replies

4. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Production Directory Structures

We (our company) has just purchased a new IBM unix machine. We have been doing some research and have found that it is NOT a good idea to put your own in-house-written applications under the existing file folders such as /usr or /bin ect. Instead you should place these applications in directories... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
7 Replies

6. Programming

How to use structures in functions which is presented in another file..

Hi .... i m having a file called deque.c which contains structure deque and i pass the structure to function declaration push . the function push is defined in some other file .. and i added the header file also .. i list the codings below... //deque.c #include<stdio.h> #include... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkarthi2k5
0 Replies

7. Programming

Dynamically allocated structures in C

I have a pointer to a structure containing an integer pointer: struct members { int id; int *neigh; }; The number of members N and its neighbors M change as the code runs, so I allocate the memory dynamically: members *grid = malloc(sizeof(members)*N); for(i=0;i<N;i++)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brinch
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Data Structures

Here is what i need to do. @data #has all column wise data so say info for col 1 location for all rows would be in this array $array = \@data But i need to create a file which should contain these information in a format for all columns even if i have got no values from some of the index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

9. Programming

Signalsafe data structures

Hello, I have a signal handler which manipulates a data structure. The data structure's operations aren't atomic. So if two threads/processes are in a critical section at the same time the data structure will be broken. With threads you can avoid this stuff with semaphores etc. However,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlegnome
10 Replies

10. Programming

C- static initialization of structures

Situation: I have an array of structures: struct my_struct_type { char tags_sn; char group_c; char is_err_c; }; struct my_struct_type stuff = { "abcd", 'A', 'E', "efgh", 'B', 'E', "ijkl", 'C', 'E' NULL, '\0', '\0' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: garysk
14 Replies
cfengine(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       cfengine(8)

NAME
cfrun - Execute remote cfagents SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cfrun [options] DESCRIPTION
cfengine is a language based system specifically designed for testing and configuring unix-like systems attached to a TCP/IP network. cfrun is a tool for executing one or more remote agents; it contacts the cfservd daemon running on a remote host, which (in turn) starts an authorized agent. Cfrun cannot be used to send instructions to a remote agent, but it can be used to flag certain aspects to the agent's existing policy for special attention.. The command line options for cfrun are slightly unusual. They are separated into three sections: options to the cfrun program, options to the remote cfagent (with some security restrictions) and finally classes or flags to the remote agent. EXAMPLES
cfrun specialhost1 specialhost2 -- --verbose -- solaris In this example, we contact hosts specialhost1 specialhost2 by name, and ask them to execute cfagent with the --verbose flag, if the class solaris is not defined. cfrun specialhost1 --verbose -- -- solaris In this example the verbose flag is sent to cfrun rather than to the remote agent. No options are sent to the remote agents. The class specifier is sent to all the agents so that they may determine whether they fulfill the required class membership for execution. The default behaviour is to execute cfagent serially on all hosts listed in the cfrun.hosts file. FILES
cfrun read a configuration file cfrun.hosts which must contain a list of every potentially contactable host. AUTHOR
Mark Burgess, Oslo University College INFORMATION
http://www.cfengine.org Maintenance Commands cfengine(8)