Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UID problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UID problem Post 8294 by rwb1959 on Tuesday 9th of October 2001 02:49:15 PM
Old 10-09-2001
Has your system ever been attached to the internet
prior to that first shutdown you mention?
Was ftp or telent active?

What I'm driving at here is that you may have been cracked
since you mention you get the powerdown message when you
try to login with the other users. You also mention that
these logins had worked previously. You may also want
to check what your system is doing with ps and who as well as
taking a look in /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure for any
abnormalities (i.e. large block of garbage).

If none of this is true, I don't know what else may be the
cause. You seem to have added new users properly...
useradd then passwd
...however, my recommendation would be the same...
save all your important data and configuration files then
wipe the disk clean and reinstall Linux. Before you connect
to the internet, be sure to secure (if not turn off) ftp and telnet.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

UID Change

Currently, I have about 7 servers and the uid for a given person is different on each server. I want to make the uid's the same for a given username on each server. I know how to change the uid via smit, but when I do the previous uid number shows up as the owner for the files of that username.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcateriny
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing UID's

Is it possible given a uid to determine information about the person with the uid? An example would be simple information regarding what group and the name of the person associated with that uid. It seems there is probably an easy staring me in the face but i cant seem to find it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreaming1
3 Replies

3. AIX

UID not to be reused

Hello I want to find out how I can make sure in AIX that the UIDs cannot be reused Until after 6 Months after the user has left. Thanks, Noori (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noori
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking uid

How do i go about getting the uid of the user and verify ? if then echo "You are not a superuser, please login as a superuser" exit1; fi the above code doesn't work. can some guru please help me. 1. how to get the uid of the user ? i know by typing id but how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uid script help

i need a script to process a password file and based on the UIDs in the password file, generate the new UID that is 1 greater than the highest uid. i have some script logic but i dont really understand it. any help? #!/usr/bin/perl ########################################## #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UId

is tty command opens a process in the system if yes then why process got the userid????? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicated UID

Hi folks! I need you help to discover what's the impact of a duplicated UID in an operating system. What's the meaning when someone put in different users the same UID? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phcostabh
3 Replies

8. AIX

More than 1 UID 0

Hi, Can any one please tell what are the risks of having more than one users having UID 0 (root)? Thanks Naveed (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveedaix
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing uid value

Hi, I want to change user id gefadm ,uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage), how can i change this uid ,gid one value to another value. Please provide the steps how can i change , uid=0(root) gid=0(root) to uid=16649(isaadmin) gid=16284(dstage). Thanks in advance for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
2 Replies

10. Solaris

UID Admin

Hi All, I have to give permission to one of the groups called as "ABC" as like the permissions of the group "UNIXADM". Could you please some one help on this issue ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
3 Replies
shutdown(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      shutdown(1B)

NAME
shutdown - close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/shutdown [-fhknr] time [warning-message]... DESCRIPTION
shutdown provides an automated procedure to notify users when the system is to be shut down. time specifies when shutdown will bring the system down; it may be the word now (indicating an immediate shutdown), or it may specify a future time in one of two formats: +number and hour:min. The first form brings the system down in number minutes, and the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated in 24-hour notation. At intervals that get closer as the apocalypse approaches, warning messages are displayed at terminals of all logged-in users, and of users who have remote mounts on that machine. At shutdown time a message is written to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), containing the time of shutdown, the instigator of the shut- down, and the reason. Then a terminate signal is sent to init, which brings the system down to single-user mode. OPTIONS
As an alternative to the above procedure, these options can be specified: -f Arrange, in the manner of fastboot(1B), that when the system is rebooted, the file systems will not be checked. -h Execute halt(1M). -k Simulate shutdown of the system. Do not actually shut down the system. -n Prevent the normal sync(2) before stopping. -r Execute reboot(1M). FILES
/etc/rmtab remote mounted file system table ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fastboot(1B), login(1), halt(1M), reboot(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), rmtab(4), attributes(5) NOTES
Only allows you to bring the system down between now and 23:59 if you use the absolute time for shutdown. SunOS 5.11 11 Oct 1994 shutdown(1B)