Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looking for ksh programming documentation Post 82880 by odashe on Wednesday 7th of September 2005 11:16:03 AM
Old 09-07-2005
It always pays to read man pages: man ksh. This will be your reference for future, but it is not an easy way to learn scripting.
I can suggest either of these:

Rosenblatt, Bill "Learning the Korn Shell"

Rosenberg, Barry "Hands-on KornShell Programming"

I know there are many other books on shell scripting. I learned from these two.

Also "Unix Power Tools" by Powers, Peek, O'Reily & Loukides has several chapters about scripting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KSH UNIX documentation

Hello, I am looking for a general KSH UNIX documentation on the web. Would you have an URL ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Filippo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

obtaining a line number in ksh programming

Hi People, how do i obtain the line number of a ksh shell script that i am working on For example in C,when u key in __LINE__ will return u the current line number of the src code. regards wilson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsontan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Programming in ksh and not in bash

Hi all.... I was wondering if there is a lot of differences between /bash and ksh programming. Im learning about bash programming, but all what I had read in this forum, points me to learn more about ksh over bash. Is that right and why? Unfortunately, I can’t write ksh progs on my work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Programming to read and mail fields

I have a file with the following values: File name à a.log (bulk file with 100+ lines with the similar format) aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii| aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii| aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivacbz
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh programming ..Any new ideas??

Hi masters I am in search for a script i am unable to write,I am not getting a proper logic .Could u pls help me ? I have a program that will create the directory named thatday date (eg :08.24.10) .This progam runs daily and creates directories according to date. Now i want to write a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: silu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with documentation

I have a list of file names Set Lst = "n02-z30-3x2drw-run1.log n02-z30-3x2drw-run2.log n02-z30-3x2drw-run3.log n02-z50-3x2drw-run1.log n02-z50-3x2drw-run2.log" So basically I have the files below n02-z30-3x2drw-run1.log n02-z30-3x2drw-run2.log n02-z30-3x2drw-run3.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.20 Documentation

I'm trying to find the 10.20 documentation online. I found some stuff at g4u0420c.houston.hp.com but these are pretty poor scans some of them being almost unreadable - for example: http://g4u0420c.houston.hp.com/en/B1171-90076/B1171-90076.pdf which is a scan of a DRAFT version of the X... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perdrix
9 Replies

9. Programming

Shell programming ksh AIX - beginner

Hi! I have two shell scripts - Script1, Script2 Script1, Script2 - have return parameter Script1 - is calling Script2 in Script2 I am calling program sqlldr - if this program is called then I did not get the return parameter from Script1 Do You have any idea how can I avoid this problem. Mroki (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mroki
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello. I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations: 1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant. 2. It is useful to know C language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockatansky
2 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)