Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dead partition on drive
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Dead partition on drive Post 82876 by rhfrommn on Wednesday 7th of September 2005 11:07:19 AM
Old 09-07-2005
I'm not sure if this will work on a version of SunOS as old as you have, but in solaris 2.6 or so on up there is the newfs command. You can do

newfs -Nv /dev/rdsk/c0t0s0d0 (or whatever device your dead filesystem is)

and it will tell you the commands newfs would run and the output of them. The -N switch tells it NOT to create the filesystem, just to do a "dry run" and show you the results.

This may be a much easier way to get the alternate superblock information. Try a man newfs and see if you have that available to you.

Here is what I get when running it on the root filesystem of my workstation:

krypton# newfs -Nv /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
mkfs -F ufs -o N /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 76055280 255 16 8192 1024 229 1 90 8192 t 0 -1 8 16 n
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: 76055280 sectors in 18641 cylinders of 16 tracks, 255 sectors
37136.4MB in 717 cyl groups (26 c/g, 51.80MB/g, 6400 i/g)
super-block backups (for fsck -F ufs -o b=#) at:
32, 106368, 212704, 319040, 425376, 531712, 638048, 744384, 850720, 957056,
Initializing cylinder groups:
super-block backups for last 10 cylinder groups at:
74999360, 75105696, 75212032, 75318368, 75424704, 75531040, 75637376,
75743712, 75850048, 75956384,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Question About Drive Partition

I'm using PartitionMagic's wizard to partition my drive for Linux, and after I get past the first step it asks if I want to screate a seperate Linux Swap Partition. What is a Linux Swap Partition and is something I need/should have? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tradewynd
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition Hard drive

Hello everyone. I am new to Linux so hope some one could help me here. I have a 30 Gb HD and windows Xp is my O/S, HD is not partitioned,but I want to Partitioned it, so I could Install Knoppix(Linux)on one of the partitioned one, how could I do this? OR should I erase every thing and then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Dead SCSI drive

I have 2 dead SCSI drives. Can anyone tell me a good way to repair the disks??? Please! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disturbe_d
1 Replies

5. AIX

Mounting Tape Drive from different partition

Dear all, I have a AIX server with logical 3 partitions and the server is connecting a tape drive. the first partition can successfully making a system backup to the tape but how can i fail to mount the tape to second and thrid partition. would anyone can help me to deal with it? what command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10: Problems booting off mirror drive -- Error 22: No such partition

Solaris 10 5/08 on Ultra 40 M2 It boots fine off primary disk but having issues booting off the mirror disk. I get this error when booting off mirror disk: Booting 'Solaris 10 ... Mirror disk' root (hd1,0,a) Error 22: No such partition Press any key to continue... Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
7 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to scrub directory only if on own partition/drive?

Hi all, I've been working on a script to run a disk wipe (using Jim Garlick's scrub tool) on the filesystem in Xerox production printer RIPs. Easy enough if there's just one partition, but I need to cater for the possibility of multiple drives/partitions, and either ZFS or UFS (don't know if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidDawesFXA
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
REPARTITION(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    REPARTITION(8)

NAME
repartition - load a partition table SYNOPSIS
repartition device [partition-file] DESCRIPTION
Repartition uploads a new partition table for the partitions of device. The table is obtained from the first sector of partition-file if given, device otherwise. Device may refer to the whole drive or a primary partition, depending on whether you want to upload a partition or a subpartition table. The partitions will be truncated to fit within the enclosing device like the disk driver does, unless the numbers are coming from partition-file. EXAMPLES
repartition /dev/hd0 repartition /dev/hd4 /etc/hd4.table Reload the partition table of drive 0 setting /dev/hd[1-4], and the subpartition table of /dev/hd4 setting /dev/hd4[a-d] using a file. The latter may be useful if you need more than the 4 subpartitions a single Minix partition gives you. DIAGNOSTICS
The new table is printed on standard output. FILES
/dev/hd[0-9] SEE ALSO
hd(4), part(8). BUGS
The disk must be in use for the changes to stick. The partition table of an idle disk will be reloaded on the first open. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) REPARTITION(8)