Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending to filename a string of text grep finds Post 82772 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 6th of September 2005 01:55:07 PM
Old 09-06-2005
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

file='A.fileA'
pre='ABC'
post='1234'
pattern="${pre}.*${post}"

[[ $(egrep -c "${pattern}" "${file}") -ge 1 ]] && mv "${file} "${post}_FileChecked_${file}"

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-06-2005 at 03:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending Text To Each Line That Matches Grep

I'm currently digging for a way to append a line to a text file where each line begins with the word "setmqaut". This is a continuation of my IBM MQSeries backup script I'm working on to make my life a little easier. What I would like to do is have each line that looks like this: setmqaut -m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string and output filename

Hello, I have over 200 files and some of them have the string like "John price $200". I would like to grep the string. Then output the filename which found the string. I have the following script, but it ONLY output the string echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending date to filename

hi i need to rename a.txt to a_12052008.txt using the batch file i used reanme a.txt a_%date%.txt ......but its done nothing am using win2000 professional edition. system date format is : The current date is: Mon 2008-05-12 can anyone help me to rename thanks aemu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search (grep?) filename for a string and if it contains this then...

Hi i want to write a script that will search a filename e.g. test06abc.txt for a string and if it contains this string then set a variable equal to something: something like: var1=0 search <filename> for 06 if it contains 06 then var1=1 else var1=0 end if but in unix script :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Send a mail in case grep finds something

I want to search a file if it contains special strings and if yes, the records found should be mailed. I can either do it with a temporary file: /usr/bin/grep somestring somefile > /tmp/tempfile && /usr/bin/mail -s "Found something" email@mycomp.com < /tmp/tempfile... or by running the grep... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep for a string on a FILENAME?

I call my bash shell script "test.sh" and pass "admin_usr.txt" as an argument like below. ./test.sh admin_usr.txt Inside the "test.sh" i wish to check if the filename passed "admin_usr.txt" i.e "$1" contains the string "admin" or not ... which in this case it does. Note: I do not wish to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD