Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reference to a const
Top Forums Programming Reference to a const Post 82668 by RishiPahuja on Monday 5th of September 2005 06:20:00 AM
Old 09-05-2005
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.viswanath
Can any one explain how the statement '2' in the following statements is a legal one.

int & ref = 3; // Illegal statement - Compiler error.
const int& ref=3 ; // Compile and executes properly.

Thanks in Advance,
Arun

Arun,

value of '3' is a constant hence it can only be assigned to a const reference. below example will help you to understand better.

likewise say if you have:
int a=3;
int &b = a; //this is perfectly legal
const int &c = a; //this is legal

while if you had
const int a=3;
int &b = a; //illegal because : cannot convert from 'const int' to 'int &'
const int &c = a; //this is legal

rishi

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

diff b/w char const in C/C++

hi, what is the difference b/w char in C and C++.and give me the examples. Thanks... sarwan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

cast from const void* to unsigned int loses precision

Hello everey one, here i am attempting to compile a c++ project .it's throughing the following errors. my machine details are as follows: Linux chmclozr0119 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux errors: ===== Generating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
0 Replies

3. Programming

Optional non-const reference argument c++ ?

Is it possible to have a non-const reference variable as an OPTIONAL/DEFAULT parameter to c++ function ex void read(string &data,int &type=0 /*or something*/) ; so i will call read(data); //or int type; read(data,type); printf("Type =%d",type); I found one dirty workaround ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
2 Replies

4. Programming

Questions about const

Hi all, I have some questions about functions. In a code I have (a .hpp file) there is this line which says: const Class_1_Name* Class_2_Name::MethodName(int ipart) const {return (ClassName*)_ref_to_method.At(ipart);} My questions are: What is the meaning of the two constants,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eager2no
2 Replies

5. Programming

C++ type-casting a member variable in const methods

Is it permitted to type-cast a member variable passed in as a parameter in a member const method .. I am doing something like : in a return-type method () const { variable other = long(member variable) } this other assigned variable is not updating and I wonder if type-casting in such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

6. Programming

Why this const variable is not changing even after applying const_cast?

Hi In the following code, why the variable 'i' still retains the value 10 instead of 11? Why it is not possible to alter this variable's value? int main() { const int i = 10; *(const_cast<int*>(&i)) = 11; cout << i << endl; // Ans: 10 } (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

7. Programming

Using const char*

I am writing some code in C++ to print a message using fprintf Here is an example void pr_desc( FILE* stream, int shift, const char* desc) { const char* format="%*s\e; fprintf(stream,format,shift,"",desc); } I call it using const char* desc; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl de-reference code reference variable

Guys, May i know how can we de reference the code reference variable.? my $a = sub{$a=shift;$b=shift;print "SUM:",($a+$b),"\n";}; print $a->(4,5); How can we print the whole function ? Please suggest me regarding this. Thanks for your time :) Cheers, Ranga :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies

9. Programming

Double to const char conversion

Dear all, I am using C and ROOT for programming. And I need to incorporate following in my code. char *fps=NULL; int dec=0,sign=0; float mean = h1->GetMean(1); //0.001298 fps= fcvt(mean,6 , &dec, &sign); I need to provide this mean as const char to some other function to get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies
EXECUTE(7)                                                         SQL Commands                                                         EXECUTE(7)

NAME
EXECUTE - execute a prepared statement SYNOPSIS
EXECUTE name [ ( parameter [, ...] ) ] DESCRIPTION
EXECUTE is used to execute a previously prepared statement. Since prepared statements only exist for the duration of a session, the pre- pared statement must have been created by a PREPARE statement executed earlier in the current session. If the PREPARE statement that created the statement specified some parameters, a compatible set of parameters must be passed to the EXECUTE statement, or else an error is raised. Note that (unlike functions) prepared statements are not overloaded based on the type or number of their parameters; the name of a prepared statement must be unique within a database session. For more information on the creation and usage of prepared statements, see PREPARE [prepare(7)]. PARAMETERS
name The name of the prepared statement to execute. parameter The actual value of a parameter to the prepared statement. This must be an expression yielding a value that is compatible with the data type of this parameter, as was determined when the prepared statement was created. OUTPUTS
The command tag returned by EXECUTE is that of the prepared statement, and not EXECUTE. EXAMPLES
Examples are given in the Examples [prepare(7)] section of the PREPARE [prepare(7)] documentation. COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard includes an EXECUTE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL. This version of the EXECUTE statement also uses a somewhat different syntax. SEE ALSO
DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)], PREPARE [prepare(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 EXECUTE(7)