Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compress & cpio commands
Operating Systems SCO compress & cpio commands Post 82624 by tayyabq8 on Sunday 4th of September 2005 02:41:50 AM
Old 09-04-2005
Question compress & cpio commands

Our End of Day backup routine uses following script.

start End-of-day
compress $BASE TO /home/compdir
write /home/compdir to DATTAPE
end

where
$BASE=/home2/Rev83
DATATAPE=/dev/rmt/ctape1
write=cpio (not sure about parameters)

since I'm new to UNIX, i dont know how to restore data using cpio and i'm not sure about how compress works, Any one would plz. help me on these issues and also on how can i read data from the tape drive.?

Best Regards,
Tayyab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio command with compress

Hi friends.. I want to be able to copy a file from one location to another (locally). The location the files are copied to should have compressed instances of the files they were copied from. copy from /home/user/test.file copy to /backup/user/test.file.Z I need to be able to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH Compress Commands

I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I hope I have the right forum but if not can a moderator move this thread to the right area. I am moving servers and need to back up a folder and its sub folders into a .tar.gz file then want to upload that file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kushti
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compress & delete files in ksh

Hi, I would like to know how to go about writing a script to compress & deleate old files from /var/mqm/log file system. I am a complete beginner and would love it if someone could actually give me the code for this. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumar
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & If commands together

Hi to everybody!! I have a (simple) question but i am newbie with unix and so i need a little help...I am writing a bash script file and i want to put inside this: i have this command " find /usr/bin -name bzip2 -print " that i want to put it in a "if" statement and when it returns true the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis7
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append && echo "success" to all commands

I am learning to build from SVN and other tools, with a lot of copying and pasting from forums. I like to append && echo "success" to all commands so that I can see at a glance if things went all right. Is there a way that I can have the bash shell append this to all commands? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the difference between commands compress, pack and gzip

Are the above commands does the same job ? same functionaliy ? If so, why do we have three utilities for the same functinality. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep commands & format

I have these grep commands and need to put them next each other (in horizontal layout). cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep Done cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Elapsed processing time:" cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Client date/time:" cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Total number of bytes transferred:" so that it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Restricting commands & access

Dear all, I am administering a DC environment of over 100+ Solaris servers used by various teams including Databases. Every user created on the node belonging to databases is assigned group staff(10) . I want that all users belonging to staff should NOT be able to execute certain system... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies
cpio.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							     cpio.h(3HEAD)

NAME
cpio.h, cpio - cpio archive values SYNOPSIS
#include <cpio.h> DESCRIPTION
Values needed by the c_mode field of the cpio archive format are described as follows: Name Description C_IRUSR Read by owner C_IWUSR Write by owner C_IXUSR Execute by owner C_IRGRP Read by group C_IWGRP Write by group C_IXGRP Execute by group C_IROTH Read by others C_IWOTH Write by others C_IXOTH Execute by others C_ISUID Set user ID C_ISGID Set group ID C_ISVTX On directories, restricted deletion flag C_ISDIR Directory C_ISFIFO FIFO C_ISREG Regular file C_ISBLK Block special C_ISCHR Character special C_ISCTG Reserved C_ISLNK Symbolic link C_ISSOCK Socket The header defines the symbolic constant: MAGIC "070707" ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pax(1), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 cpio.h(3HEAD)