Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shared Objects
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shared Objects Post 82566 by jim mcnamara on Friday 2nd of September 2005 11:13:09 AM
Old 09-02-2005
It's more complex than that.

The first guy to map shared memory objects incurs a lot of memory overhead in creating new shared memory. The next guy to map the same shared objects incurs way less overhead.

Overall, the use of shared memory objects is encouraged because it uses memory much more efficiently.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Runtime Linking shared Objects

I'm runtime linking (dlopen and dlsym) to a shared object (library) I've created and after a number of function calls into the library the program core dumps (Illegal operation). This only occurs during runtime linking. If I use the same library and dynamically link during compile time everything... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dneely
3 Replies

2. Programming

Shared memory and C++ Objects (cont)

I asked the next question in a former thread : Can I safely share objects that have virtual functions (i.e. have virtual function table pointers) between two processes ? Where will the pointers point to in each process ? The objects are supposed to reside in shared memory I received a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeker
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shared Objects

Hi Friends ! I have a library, say libxyz.a. To view all the object files in the archive, i issued the command : ar -t libxyz.a which displayed all the object files it contains. Now, I would like to know the functions in each object file. Is there any such command that displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrgubbala
3 Replies

4. Programming

Linking with shared objects

hi all ! Do I need all the shared objects to be present while compiling my code which has reference to a only one shared object, which in turn refers to another shared object. for example I want to compile example.c which refers to sample.so sample.so has refrence to anothersample.so do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: disclaimer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

debugging shared objects

Hi, i am trying to debug a binary which is using a shared lib. but i could not succeed in tracking the code flow in the classes defined in this library. i get: class MyClass <opaque> error i followed the instructions in the link below:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakari
0 Replies

6. AIX

Wrong Shared objects getting loaded

I have two envoirmets(Envoirment A and Envoirment B) running on same server(AIX vesion 5.3).Both have different groups.I am facing a strange problem.Shared objects of one envoirment (Envoirment A)are getting loaded into the second(Envoirment B).So the servers that have dependency on shared objects... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin@tcs
2 Replies

7. Programming

g++ with -frepo and shared objects...

G'day, I have been working with a large application that makes extensive use of templates. When compiled under Unix (with g++), this sees some rather impressive bloat. I have been trying to make a temporary quick-fix by using the -frepo option, which results in dramatically smaller shared... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elric of Grans
0 Replies

8. Programming

Creation and Accessing Shared Objects (.so)

Hi, I am looking for references about creating and accessing Shared Objects (.so) through C/C++ on Unix / Linux platforms. Is it possible and where can I find the info. Thanks Phil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phil nascimento
1 Replies

9. Linux

Make file for shared objects

dear Experts, please help, actually i am trying to create a .so(shared object through make file through ld) i am not understaning how to proceed i have tried like through command like i can do it in 2 step like my progam :test2.c $gcc -fPIC -c test2.c $ld -shared -soname test2.so -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared objects -urgent please help me out

Hi All...... I have my tool in my one server lets say E1 and same tool I tried to install in E2 server so everything is fine but, while executing the my tool for example... $ ./batch At that time Im getting this following error. ./batch: error while loading shared libraries: libqabwvcd.so:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrivani
3 Replies
fixso(1)						      General Commands Manual							  fixso(1)

NAME
fixso - Fixes a shared object so that it can be quickstarted SYNOPSIS
fixso [+i | -i] [+w | -w] [+d | -d] [+n | -n] [-V] [-o outputobj] [-p path] inputobj OPTIONS
Turns informational message reporting on and off, respectively. By default (-i), informational messages are not reported. Turns warning message reporting on and off, respectively. By default (+w), warning messages are reported. Turns debugging message reporting on and off, respectively. By default (-d), debugging messages are not reported. Turns output generation on and off, respectively. By default (+n), fixso writes output to a.out or to the file specified by the -o option. If you specify -n, fixso just analyzes the inputobj and generates no output. Displays the version of the fixso command. Specifies the file to which fixso writes its output. By default, output is sent to a.out. Adds path to the beginning of the shared library search path. The default library search path, as explained in loader(5), is used. The fixso utility also honors any definition of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. DESCRIPTION
The fixso utility allows executables that depend on a shared library registered in the so_locations database to continue to run quick- started even if the shared library changed after the time the executable was originally linked against it. The fixso utility accomplishes this by adjusting the object's checksum and timestamp, reconciling the object's conflict table (the list of symbols that are multiply defined among the entries in the object's library list), and resolving global symbols. You specify one executable or shared object in the inputobj parameter. The fixso utility opens the target object, scanning its library list for dependencies on symbols defined in other objects. When it discovers a dependency, it automatically opens the associated object and con- tinues processing it in the same manner, as long as it is located in the default library search path, the path indicated by the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or specified by the -p option. Otherwise, it generates a message advising you to run fixso on that object first. The fixso utility examines each object's interface version, shared object name (soname), timestamp, and checksum. Although it can adjust timestamp and checksum discrepancies among the entries in the object's library list, fixso has the following limitations: The fixso utility does not change the size of the binary object; it will not expand the size of the conflict table if it encounters a new multiply-defined symbol while traversing the object's library list. An object's actual run-time memory location must match the quickstart location recorded in the so_locations file. The fixso utility cannot make an object quick-startable if the object has been moved from its quickstart loca- tion, or if another object has been moved into its quickstart location. The version of the run-time linker interface used by an object mapped in the inputobj's library list must be the same version used when inputobj was created by the linker. An object mapped in inputobj's library list must be located in the same library search path it was in when inputobj was created by the linker. The soname of an object mapped in inputobj's library list must be the same as when inputobj was created by the linker. By default, an object's soname is its filename (without a prepended pathname). ERRORS
The fixso utility generates the following types of messages: Error messages that indicate when the current use of the tool violates one of its limitations, as described previously. Error messages also help you determine the correct order in which to run fixso on a series of objects. You cannot turn off error messages. Warning messages that indicate conflicts, such as timestamp and checksum mismatches, that fixso attempts to fix automatically. The fixso utility generates warning messages by default. You can turn them off by specifying the -w option. Informational and debug messages that record the fixso utility's progress. These messages are turned off by default, but you can turn them on by using the +i and +d options, respectively. FILES
Shared library directory. Shared library directory. Shared library directory. Shared library directory. Shared library directory. Fix quickstarted shared objects utility. SEE ALSO
ld(1), loader(5) Programmer's Guide fixso(1)