Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Init 6 & Init 0 problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Init 6 & Init 0 problem Post 82526 by bakunin on Friday 2nd of September 2005 04:58:34 AM
Old 09-02-2005
First off, the command to switch runlevels is not "init", but "telinit". I don't now about Sun machines, on AIX "init" and "telinit" do the same, so that may be no problem.

Possible places to look for problems: /etc/inittab and /etc/rc.d/rc<n>.d, where <n> is the number of the runlevel making problems.

Hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Problem of booting system in init 5 level

Hi, I am using RHEL4 and I am not booting my computer into graphics mode i.e. It gets hangs after the step of Enabling swap space... I.e system is not able to enter into runlevel 5. However, when I boot it into 'runlevel3' and then I do "#startx", It enetrs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

2. Solaris

different between /sbin/init and /usr/sbin/init

root@test09 # ls -al /sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 550000 Jun 29 2002 /sbin/init root@test09 # ls -al /usr/sbin/init -r-xr-xr-x 1 root sys 37100 Jun 29 2002 /usr/sbin/init (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userking
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About init

I know if a parent process exits before its child, the last one becomes orphan for a while and then is added to the children of Init process. I'd like to know deeper 1 how the orphan becomes init process, 2 how init knows that from a some point on it has another child. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem regarding Sed/Echo/Var Init

Greetings, I've visited this forums for a long time and normally got an right answer but this time my problem doesn't seem to go away. What I'm trying to do is the following: VAR="\n\nline1\nline2\nline3\nline4\nline5\nline6\nline7\n\n" (The count of newlines is varying!) If I echo this i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph1l
3 Replies

5. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

Difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'

What is the difference between 'init s' and 'init 1'. I know that both will work to change the current run level to single user mode. Is there any difference in those two commands? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on init 0, execution is the same with init 6

Hi, I am experiencing a weird thing on my SUNFIRE machine with Solaris 9 OS. When I do init 0 to shutdown the machine to go to ok prompt, what it did was shutdown and reboot like an init 6 command do. I did check the corresponding rc scripts that were involved with init 0 and compared with rc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yenthanh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

What is the diffe b/w init s and init S

i did my research in finding the answer but couldn't find right one. Please give your inputs. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranumala
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies
INIT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   INIT(8)

NAME
init, rc - process control initialization SYNOPSIS
/etc/init /etc/rc DESCRIPTION
Init is invoked as the last step of the boot procedure (see boot(8)). Generally its role is to create a process for each typewriter on which a user may log in. When init first is executed the console typewriter /dev/console. is opened for reading and writing and the shell is invoked immediately. This feature is used to bring up a single-user system. If the shell terminates, init comes up multi-user and the process described below is started. When init comes up multiuser, it invokes a shell, with input taken from the file /etc/rc. This command file performs housekeeping like removing temporary files, mounting file systems, and starting daemons. Then init reads the file /etc/ttys and forks several times to create a process for each typewriter specified in the file. Each of these processes opens the appropriate typewriter for reading and writing. These channels thus receive file descriptors 0, 1 and 2, the standard input, output and error files. Opening the typewriter will usually involve a delay, since the open is not completed until someone is dialed up and carrier established on the channel. Then /etc/getty is called with argument as specified by the last character of the ttys file line. Getty reads the user's name and invokes login(1) to log in the user and execute the shell. Ultimately the shell will terminate because of an end-of-file either typed explicitly or generated as a result of hanging up. The main path of init, which has been waiting for such an event, wakes up and removes the appropriate entry from the file utmp, which records cur- rent users, and makes an entry in /usr/adm/wtmp, which maintains a history of logins and logouts. Then the appropriate typewriter is reopened and getty is reinvoked. Init catches the hangup signal SIGHUP and interprets it to mean that the system should be brought from multi user to single user. Use `kill -1 1' to send the hangup signal. FILES
/dev/tty?, /etc/utmp, /usr/adm/wtmp, /etc/ttys, /etc/rc SEE ALSO
login(1), kill(1), sh(1), ttys(5), getty(8) INIT(8)