Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: installing solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris installing solaris 10 Post 82225 by edljedi on Monday 29th of August 2005 09:16:14 PM
Old 08-29-2005
no scsi

probe-scsi-all came back with nothing. I know it is all connected since I currently have Solaris 9 installed and have inserted the CD and it mounts just fine while booted in Solaris 9. Doing a probe-ide returned:

Device 0 (Primary Master)
ATA Model: ST38410A
Device 1 (Primary Slave)
Not Present
Device 2 (Secondary Master)
Removable ATAPI Model: CRD-8322B
Device 3 (Secondary Slave)
Not Present

It also seems on further inspection that my boot device and the original posters are different for the CD.

I get:

ok boot cdrom -s
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

I had just gotten the iso's off Sun's site late last week and burned it with Toast for Mac without any errors.

It's been a while since I've used Solaris on a Sparc box so I'm a little rusty. I've had to use Trusted Solaris 8 on x86 hardware lately.

Last edited by edljedi; 08-29-2005 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: clarification + more info

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris 8

I'm new to Unix, and Installed Solaris 8 (IA) for the first time with the end user software group, I got the login screen at startup. When I re-installed it with the Full Distribution plus OEM support it bypasses the login screen and logs me as superuser (root). Is this normal? Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdrivas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris

Hi I am trying to install Solaris for Intel, I am getting a error message saying can't open -VTOC. I have tried installing it on two PCs and I get the same error message on both PCs. Can some please help me. Thanks alot Chamkila (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chamkila
1 Replies

3. Solaris

installing solaris

i have a laptop that i am no longer using and wish to try and install solaris 10 on it for learning purposes but im stumped. i went to sun.com and downloaded the dvd image but i feel like im at a dead end. the files and folders on the dvd image are clearly meant to be used on an existing unix-based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S1CK_0F_WINDOHS
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10

Hi All, Il jump straight in.. Iv been asked to install Sun Solaris 10 for a friend and Il be honest.. Iv never installed one before.. Iv looked at some documentation on installing but nbothing to represent my problem.. I downloaded the Solaris 10 Software from sun.com on 5 cd`s.. burnt them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjdude
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Re-installing Solaris

I am a Windows admin but we require the use of at least one SUN for an application that cannot be installed on Windows. We've had two SUN Netra X1 boxes for some time that have seen some use, but I'm told the newest version of the application cannot be installed on the version of Solaris that is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tawnos42
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Installing Solaris 8 bootblock without Solaris Install CD

Hello everyone, Background: I'm having an issue with booting a clone of hard drive with Solaris 8 installation. For cloning process I have used g4l, running under click'n'clone option. As far as I know the actual operation ran behind g4l's interface was dd, though I do not have any information... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnny994
12 Replies

7. Hardware

Installing Solaris

Hello ladies and gentlemen I had a notebook 250 GB for windows 7, 250 GB for slackware, by the live dvd slaris i installed solaris in partition of windows, instalation ok, when i restart, i can not access menu bios or menu boot, and my notebook doesn't boot any dvd ,.. any help what i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
0 Replies
re-preinstall(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 re-preinstall(1M)

NAME
re-preinstall - installs the JumpStart software on a system SYNOPSIS
cdrom-mnt-pt/Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall [-m Solaris_boot_dir] [-k platform_name] target-slice DESCRIPTION
re-preinstall installs the JumpStart software (preinstall boot image) on a system, so you can power-on the system and have it automatically install the Solaris software (perform a JumpStart installation on the system). When you turn on a re-preinstalled system, the system looks for the JumpStart software on the system's default boot disk. All new SPARC systems have the JumpStart software already preinstalled. The XX in Solaris_XX is the version number of the Solaris release being used. You can use the re-preinstall command in several ways. The most common way is to run re-preinstall on a system to install the JumpStart software on its own default boot disk. This is useful if you want to restore a system to its original factory conditions. (See the first procedure described in EXAMPLES.) You can also run re-preinstall on a system to install JumpStart software on any attached disk (non-boot disk). After you install the Jump- Start software on a disk, you can move the disk to a different system and perform a JumpStart installation on the different system. (See the second procedure described in EXAMPLES.) re-preinstall creates a standard file system on the specified target-slice (usually slice 0), and re-preinstall makes sure there is enough space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. If sufficient space is not available, re-preinstall fails with the following message: re-preinstall: target-slice too small xx Megabytes required You can use the format(1M) command to create sufficient space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k platform_name Platform name of the system that will use the disk with the JumpStart software. The default is the platform name of the system running re-preinstall. (Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine a system's platform name.) -m Solaris_boot_dir Absolute path to the Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot subdirectory of a mounted Solaris CD or a Solaris CD copied to disk that re-preinstall uses to install the JumpStart software. The default is root (/), which is where the Solaris CD is mounted in single-user mode. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: target-slice Device name of the disk slice where the JumpStart software will be installed (usually slice 0), for example, c0t3d0s0. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Own Default Boot Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's own default boot disk: 1. From the ok prompt, boot the system from the Solaris media CD or DVD in single-user mode: ok boot cdrom -s 2. The following command installs the Jumpstart software on the System default boot disk, c0t0d0s0 on a Solaris 9 system: example# /usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall c0t0d0s1 3. Reboot the slice: example# reboot disk:b Example 2: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Attached (non-boot) Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's attached (non-boot) disk: 1. Mount the Solaris CD or DVD if vold(1M) is not running or CD or DVD is not mounted. 2. Use the format(1M) command to determine the target-slice where JumpStart will be installed. 3. Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine the platform name of the system that will use the re-preinstalled disk 4. Run re-preinstall with the -m Solaris_boot_dir option if the Solaris CD or DVD is not mounted on /cdrom. The following command installs the JumpStart software on the system's attached disk for a system with a Sun4u kernel architecture, and it uses the Solaris CD or DVD mounted with vold(1M) on a Solaris 9 system: example# /cdrom/cdrom/s1/usr/bin/install.d/re-preinstall -m /cdrom/cdrom/s1 -k sun4u c0t2d0s0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris CD, | | |SPARC Platform Edition) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), eeprom(1M), format(1M), mount(1M), vold(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2002 re-preinstall(1M)