Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed doesn't work
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed doesn't work Post 81995 by bakunin on Friday 26th of August 2005 03:44:47 AM
Old 08-26-2005
man sed

"&" is expanded to the whole text matched by the regular expression in the search part.

Example: You want to add "== " at the beginning and " ==" at the end of every line:

's/.*/== & ==/'

The "&" will contain whatever is matched by ".*" (this is the whole line) and will put it in the result string, the rest of the result string is literal.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

my make doesn't work

hi I wrote the following makefile, I have just one problem, when i type make clean I get the message make 'clean' is up to date and any obj file is removed from my folder, what's wrong? Thank you CC = cc all: es.o elaboration.o $(CC) -o es es.o elaboration.o elaboration.o:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remsh doesn't work

Hi, I need to use remsh inside a ksh script. The script would remsh to another machine (maybe different OS) and then execute commands. A Simple Script: #!/usr/bin/ksh remsh sun7656 -l myuser "cd /user.3/MyFolder; ls -lart" But this gives me the error: permission denied I also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string with sed doesn't work

Hello, Unfortunately I don't found any working solution for my problem :/ I have pass file for dovecot authorizing in this format: user@domain.tld:{SSHA}Ykx2KVG/a2FKzjnctFFC2qFnrk9nvRmW:5000:5000:::: . . ...Now, I want to write some sh script for password changing for grep'ed user, in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenty
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo doesn't work right

Hi,when I run my first shell script,I got something that doesn't work right. I wrote this code in the script. echo -e "Hello,World\a\n"But the screen print like this: -e Hello,World The "-e" wasn't supposed to be printed out. Can anyone help me out?:wall: Many thanks!:) (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfileThis code works well in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfile This code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
IMPRESSIVE-GETTRANSITIONS(1)				      Debian GNU/Linux manual				      IMPRESSIVE-GETTRANSITIONS(1)

NAME
impressive-gettransitions - Generate Impressive info scripts for LaTeX presentations SYNOPSIS
impressive-gettransitions FILE.tex DESCRIPTION
A simple script to produce a .info file for use with Impressive, using special comments in a LaTeX/Beamer file. FILE.tex is a file to be parsed into .info file. For each /fullpath/blah.tex /fullpath/blah.pdf.info gets produced. SYNTAX
In the LaTeX document, impressive-gettransitions counts the pages to determine the PDF slide number of each one. The simpler page changes are automatically detected, that is: egin{frame} and: pause Other, more elaborated page changes must be noted with a %O comment: item<1-> Foo item<2-> Bar %O The transition to apply can be specified in a %O comment: egin{frame} %O SlideUp OPERATION
When the .info file corresponding to the LaTeX document already exist, impressive-gettransitions does not clear it, but only adds the transitions if finds to it. Thus, if you modified your document in a way that requires to completely replace the transitions, manually clear the PageProps section of the .info file. This can be done by running the following sed command: sed -i -e "/^PageProps = {/,/^}/d" FILE.info SEE ALSO
impressive(1) AUTHOR
impressive-gettransitions (originally gettransitions) has been written by Rob Reid. This manpage has been originally written by Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>. Debian Project 2012-02-10 IMPRESSIVE-GETTRANSITIONS(1)