Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in assigning values to variables Post 81920 by mohanprabu on Thursday 25th of August 2005 04:44:07 AM
Old 08-25-2005
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein
using arrays you can do this:

#initialise i
i=0

#initialise input
input=test

#assign $input to specified array element
temp[$i]=$input

#echo array value at pos i
echo ${temp[i]}
Thanks rein.. (apologies for late reply)..

This method is now working fine.. Never realized the concepts of arrays.. Smilie

Thanks aigles ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables

Before I even attempt this, is it possible to grep for a pattern, maybe a partial sentence like "go to page 3", assign that to a variable and then use awk or something to pull out the 3 and assign it to a variable? So first I would have Gotopg = "go to page 3" then page = 3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem assigning values to variable

Date of Request: 20080514 10:37 Submitted By: JPCHIANG i want to get the value "JPCHIANG" only in read a file, however, when i do this: name=`"$line"|cut -d " " -f8` it display all the line and append 'not found' at the end of the statement the $line is actually a variable in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem assigning variables to arrays

Hi All, I have a problem assigning variables to script.I have a script in which i have a while loop now i have to assign some values obtained to an array which will be used later in the script.Can anyone help how to do that. At present my scrot looks like: co=0 pco=0 co=`cat /tmp/highcpu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to reference variables for a dynamic menu driven script.

How do I assign values to reference variables? I am assigning a variable name to --> $user_var Then I am trying to change its underlying variable value by $((user_var))=$user_value .. its failing,, Please let me know if there is a way to do this dynamically.. FileA.props... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning variables using awk

Hi, I am having a line which is separated by - I need to extract each field and put into some variable. a=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $1}' ` b=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $2}' ` c=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $3}' ` d=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in assigning values to variables from the file

Hi! This might be a simple thing, but I'm struggling to assign values to variables from the file. I've the following values stored in the file.. It consists of only two rows.. 10 20 I want to assign the first row value to variable "n1" and the second row value to variable "n2".. That is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning fields values to different variables

Hi, I have this code: cat file.txt | awk -F, 'NR==1{print $6","$8","$10","$20","$21","$19}' > file.tmp VAR1=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f1` VAR2=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f2` VAR3=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f3`; VAR4=`cat file.tmp | cut -d "," -f4`; VAR5=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variables

i have variables RECIPIENTS_DEVL,RECIPIENTS_UACC,RECIPIENTS_PROD i have a case statement to get the phase variable: case ${WMD_UPHASE1} in u) WMD_UPHASE4=UACC;; i) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; p) WMD_UPHASE4=PROD;; d) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; *) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; esac I am unable to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to 2 variables within for loop

Hi All, Is it possible to grep for two files and assign their names to two separate variables with for loop? I am doing the below currently: if then for fname in $( cd $dirA ; ls -tr | grep "^Ucountry_file$") do InFile=$dirA/$fname ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variables

Hi, Can the below be clarified please. i just want to know what is the difference between the two ways of assigning variables as mentioned below. export SRC_TBL=${SRC_TBL-"MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG"} export SRC_TBL="MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG" thanks in advance :) Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
1 Replies
ENVSUBST(1)								GNU							       ENVSUBST(1)

NAME
envsubst - substitutes environment variables in shell format strings SYNOPSIS
envsubst [OPTION] [SHELL-FORMAT] DESCRIPTION
Substitutes the values of environment variables. Operation mode: -v, --variables output the variables occurring in SHELL-FORMAT Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit In normal operation mode, standard input is copied to standard output, with references to environment variables of the form $VARIABLE or ${VARIABLE} being replaced with the corresponding values. If a SHELL-FORMAT is given, only those environment variables that are referenced in SHELL-FORMAT are substituted; otherwise all environment variables references occurring in standard input are substituted. When --variables is used, standard input is ignored, and the output consists of the environment variables that are referenced in SHELL-FOR- MAT, one per line. AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for envsubst is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and envsubst programs are properly installed at your site, the command info envsubst should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext-runtime 0.18.1 June 2010 ENVSUBST(1)