Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add CR to a String
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add CR to a String Post 81676 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 23rd of August 2005 07:57:01 AM
Old 08-23-2005
fold -w 35 file > newFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after line X

Hi all, I'm trying in a script, to add a string after the line number one. file=file.txt text="it works" sed '1i\ $text' < $file But I'm getting the following err: "Function 1i\ $text cannot be parsed." Does anyone knows the reason why this err is happening or knows another way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienET
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a particular string to particular files

Hiii I wanted to add a particular string using grep to all the files of a specific size say add a string empty to files of zero size would appreciate if u could use "find" me not comfortable with sed or awk. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8pals
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string and to add another string after that in new line

Hi Guys I am facing a problem:wall: In searching a string in a file and to add another string(ie. passed through command line argument) just after this(searched) string in new line. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kushwaha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add an string at every x chars

Hi All, I have a file fo around 15k bytes which i need to insert a string " + "at every 250 bytes. I found some ideas here using perl to split into lines and tried to addapt it but the results where not satisfactory for instance i tried to change #!/usr/bin/perl $teststring =... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadu
9 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Add string to parentheses

Suppose I have this code : int main () { int i = NULL; /* incorrect */ return 0; } and I want to put the word between the two parentheses like this : int main (void) { int i = NULL; /* incorrect */ return 0; } which command is used to do it in Linux ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve120
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add NA When String is not found

I am searching for these patterns in my file between commas, when I dont find a pattern match I would Like to add NA. awk '/Device ID:/ || /address:/ || /Interface:/ || /VLAN:/ || /Platform:/ || /Software/ {print $0,"NA"}' $tempdir/shcdpnedet > $tempdir/newtt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
9 Replies
FOLD(1) 							   User Commands							   FOLD(1)

NAME
fold - wrap each input line to fit in specified width SYNOPSIS
fold [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Wrap input lines in each FILE (standard input by default), writing to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes count bytes rather than columns -s, --spaces break at spaces -w, --width=WIDTH use WIDTH columns instead of 80 --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report fold bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report fold translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for fold is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and fold programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'fold invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 FOLD(1)