Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VI opens slow
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers VI opens slow Post 8112 by Moca4444 on Friday 5th of October 2001 02:29:56 PM
Old 10-05-2001
VI opens slow

ok, when I did "cat filename | wc -l" it does run a lot faster. the number was 9518. It took 5sec to run and the vi takes 25sec to open the file.

The VI opens slow on all files that are not local.

Thanks for your help!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Vi opens automatically when i login to a unix box

When I login to a unix box using a putty session , I'm landed in a vi editor, instead of my home directory,I'm guessing instead of pointing me to my home directory, the system points me to /usr/bin/vi. As a result, everytime I log into the system I open up a vi editor and am in there. how do i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selectionbox, script which opens more than one file at once?

hello everybody I´m very new at shell and programming :eek: and i have the following question/problem: I need a script for framemaker (based on shell) which opens a new document from a template (.fm). Then imports a .doc file and then save it as a .mif. Actually my script works with one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tio86
3 Replies

3. Linux

Port that a process opens up

Hi all, I have a process with PID as 12456. Could you please let me know how do i find out what is the port that process listens upon in Linux? Thanks in Advance, Pankajakshan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Port that a process opens up

Hi all, I have a process with PID as 12456. Could you please let me know how do i find out what is the port that process listens upon in Linux? Thanks in Advance, Pankajakshan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position to last line when vi opens a file.

Any Idea without entering any keystroke I can go to end of line in vi when I opening the file. When I am opening Vi I want to goto last line. when I give vi + filename it does not work. Any clue why it does not work. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Programatically change which opens a file type

Hi there, If we have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files of a certain file extension, is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default? Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All, but using a script. Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu opens and closes

Ever since I added these two code blocks to my bash menu it just opens and closes right away. I use a batch file that worked fine until these codes were added and I am not sure what is wrong. Basically, what I am trying to do in the additional section is if the answer is "Y" then it goes back... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Extra tab opens

Hello everyone, This code is working right using mate-terminal but with xfce4-terminal for some reason, it open up an extra tab... Could someone please help me out to understand why this is happening? #!/bin/bash cd "$(dirname "$0")"/files tab=" --tab" title=" --title" options=()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
2 Replies
IPC::Run::IO(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   IPC::Run::IO(3)

NAME
IPC::Run::IO -- I/O channels for IPC::Run. SYNOPSIS
NOT IMPLEMENTED YET ON Win32! Win32 does not allow select() on normal file descriptors; IPC::RUN::IO needs to use IPC::Run::Win32Helper to do this. use IPC::Run qw( io ); ## The sense of '>' and '<' is opposite of perl's open(), ## but agrees with IPC::Run. $io = io( "filename", '>', $recv ); $io = io( "filename", 'r', $recv ); ## Append to $recv: $io = io( "filename", '>>', $recv ); $io = io( "filename", 'ra', $recv ); $io = io( "filename", '<', $send ); $io = io( "filename", 'w', $send ); $io = io( "filename", '<<', $send ); $io = io( "filename", 'wa', $send ); ## Handles / IO objects that the caller opens: $io = io( *HANDLE, '<', $send ); $f = IO::Handle->new( ... ); # Any subclass of IO::Handle $io = io( $f, '<', $send ); require IPC::Run::IO; $io = IPC::Run::IO->new( ... ); ## Then run(), harness(), or start(): run $io, ...; ## You can, of course, use io() or IPC::Run::IO->new() as an ## argument to run(), harness, or start(): run io( ... ); DESCRIPTION
This class and module allows filehandles and filenames to be harnessed for I/O when used IPC::Run, independent of anything else IPC::Run is doing (except that errors & exceptions can affect all things that IPC::Run is doing). SUBCLASSING
INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE: due to the awkwardness introduced in ripping pseudohashes out of Perl, this class no longer uses the fields pragma. SUBROUTINES
new I think it takes >> or << along with some other data. TODO: Needs more thorough documentation. Patches welcome. filename Gets/sets the filename. Returns the value after the name change, if any. init Does initialization required before this can be run. This includes open()ing the file, if necessary, and clearing the destination scalar if necessary. open If a filename was passed in, opens it. Determines if the handle is open via fileno(). Throws an exception on error. open_pipe If this is a redirection IO object, this opens the pipe in a platform independent manner. close Closes the handle. Throws an exception on failure. fileno Returns the fileno of the handle. Throws an exception on failure. mode Returns the operator in terms of 'r', 'w', and 'a'. There is a state 'ra', unlike Perl's open(), which indicates that data read from the handle or file will be appended to the output if the output is a scalar. This is only meaningful if the output is a scalar, it has no effect if the output is a subroutine. The redirection operators can be a little confusing, so here's a reference table: > r Read from handle in to process < w Write from process out to handle >> ra Read from handle in to process, appending it to existing data if the destination is a scalar. << wa Write from process out to handle, appending to existing data if IPC::Run::IO opened a named file. op Returns the operation: '<', '>', '<<', '>>'. See "mode" if you want to spell these 'r', 'w', etc. binmode Sets/gets whether this pipe is in binmode or not. No effect off of Win32 OSs, of course, and on Win32, no effect after the harness is start()ed. dir Returns the first character of $self->op. This is either "<" or ">". poll TODO: Needs confirmation that this is correct. Was previously undocumented. I believe this is polling the IO for new input and then returns undef if there will never be any more input, 0 if there is none now, but there might be in the future, and TRUE if more input was gotten. AUTHOR
Barrie Slaymaker <barries@slaysys.com> TODO
Implement bidirectionality. perl v5.16.3 2012-01-16 IPC::Run::IO(3)