Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar: tape blocksize error
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tar: tape blocksize error Post 80516 by ramkumar on Tuesday 9th of August 2005 04:11:34 AM
Old 08-09-2005
Question Tar: tape blocksize error

When trying to extract a tar file in HP-UX using tar -xvf command it exits with the following error :"Tar: tape blocksize error".

Tar file is created using the following command with MKS toolkit(Unix Simulation Kit for Windows env) under Windows 2000 Professional:

"$tar -cvf test.tar test.txt test2.txt"

Let me know what could be the possible issue and resolutions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocksize problem restoring file from tape

I was recently given the responsibility of the unix box at our work. Without much training, I now have to go back and restore a file from tape. I'm having some trouble with it. I'm getting an error with the blocksize. The part of the script that does the tar looks like this: tar cvfX... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change blocksize for in tar command

How can I change the blocksize in tar command? tar cvf test.tar backup.sh a backup.sh 1K If we need to set the blocksize to 20, how to do that? Please advise. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: blocksize

Hi, When doing tar -xvf to untar, some tar versions display the blocksize: “tar: blocksize = 6” my goal is to avoid this message. One way of doing it is to specify the blocksize: tar -xvfb <tar_file> 6 Is there a setting in tar or a tar version to avoid this type of message without... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: blocksize = 0 - Error message?

Hi All, While viewing tar file using "tar tf file.tar" command, I have received "tar: blocksize = 0" message and while extracting a particular file from the same tar file (file.tar) I have received the same message and nothing is extracted. Above commands ran in a shell script so, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Tar blockSize problem

Hi, i have got a tar file some 200MB big and i have ftp'ed the tar file over from one server to another but it does not seem to extract. its giving the following message: tar xvf saptar tar: blocksize = 2 Its the first time i used tar so I not got any ideas why its giving this message?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

10. Solaris

tape tar error

Hi, I am trying to determine if a tape is full because on 2 different tapes, im receiving 2 different kind of errors: # uname SunOS # /bin/tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home a /export/home/jerry/wlserver_10.0.tar.gz 28528 tape blocks tar: write error: unexpected EOF # mt -f /dev/rmt/0n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosies
5 Replies
AMRESTORE(8)						  System Administration Commands					      AMRESTORE(8)

NAME
amrestore - low-level data-extraction from Amanda volumes SYNOPSIS
amrestore [--config config] [-r | -c | -C] [-b blocksize] [-f filenum] [-l label] [-p] [-h] [-o configoption...] [{changerspec} | {[--holding] holdingfile}] [hostname [ diskname [ datestamp [ hostname [ diskname [ datestamp ... ] ] ] ] ]] Note that this is the only Amanda command which does not take a configuration name as its first argument. DESCRIPTION
Amrestore is a very low-level tool for extracting data from Amanda volumes. It does not consult any catalog information or other metadata, basing its operations only on the headers found on the volume. This makes it an appropriate tool for bare-metal restores of an Amanda server, or other situations where the catalog is not available. See amfetchdump(8) and amrecover(8) for higher-level recoveries. The tool does not reassemble split dumps, but can uncompress compressed dumps. Note that decompression may fail for split parts after the first. If this occurs, extract the parts without decompressing, concatenate them, and decompress the result. Data is restored from the current volume in changerspec, or from the holding file holdingfile. In most cases, changerspec will name a particular device, e.g., tape:/dev/nst0 or s3:mybucket/tape-1. Only dumps matching the dump specification beginning with hostname are extracted. If no specification is given, every file on the volume (or the entire holdingfile) is restored. See the "DUMP SPECIFICATIONS" section of amanda-match(7) for more information. Unless -p is used, candidate backup images are extracted to files in the current directory named: hostname.diskname.datestamp.dumplevel OPTIONS
-b blocksize Use the given blocksize to read the volume. The default is defined by the device. -f filenum Seek to file filenum before beginning the restore operation. -l label Check that the volume has label label. -p Pipe the first matching file to standard output. This is typically used in a shell pipeline to send the data to a process like tar for extraction. -c, -C If the file is not already compressed, compress it using the fastest (-c) or best (-C) compression algorithm. Note that amrestore will not re-compress an already-compressed file. Without either of these options, amrestore will automatically uncompress any compressed files. This option is useful when the destination disk is small. -h Include 32k headers on all output files, similar to a holding file. This header can be read by another application or utility (see Amanda::Header) during the next phase of processing. -r Output raw files. This is similar to -h, but also disables any automatic decompression. Output file names will have a .RAW extension. -o configoption See the "CONFIGURATION OVERRIDE" section in amanda(8). EXAMPLES
The following does an interactive restore of disk rz3g from host seine, to restore particular files. Note the use of the b option to restore, which causes it to read in units of two 512-byte blocks (1 Kbyte) at a time. This helps keep it from complaining about short reads. amrestore -p /dev/nrmt9 seine rz3g | tar -xv The next example extracts all backup images for host seine. This is a typical way to extract all data for a host after a disk crash. amrestore /dev/nrmt9 seine If the backup datestamp in the above example is 20070125 and seine has level 0 backups of disks rz1a and rz1g on the tape, these files will be created in the current directory: seine.rz1a.19910125.0 seine.rz1g.19910125.0 You may also use amrestore to extract a backup image from a holding disk file that has not yet been flushed to tape: amrestore -p /amanda/20001119/seine.rz1a.2 | tar -xv CAVEATS
GNU-tar must be used to restore files from backup images created with the GNUTAR dumptype. Vendor tar programs sometimes fail to read GNU Tar images. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda-match(7), amfetchdump(8), amrecover(8) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
James da Silva <jds@amanda.org> Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMRESTORE(8)