Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming invoking an Unix script from a C Program Post 80305 by jim mcnamara on Friday 5th of August 2005 10:06:54 AM
Old 08-05-2005
You can also call popen() / pclose() if you want to be able to have continuing input or get feedback.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking Oracle stored procedure in unix shell script

Here's a shell script snippet..... cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin Retval=`sqlplus -s <<eof $TPDB_USER/april@$TPD_DBCONN whenever SQLERROR exit 2 rollback whenever OSERROR exit 3 rollback set serveroutput on set pages 999 var status_desc char(200) var status_code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hidnana
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking one shell script from another unix box

Hello All, I have a shell script A which is in one unix box. Also i have a script B in another unix box. Now i'm struggling to find a way to invoke A shell script from B shell script. Is it possible to do this in any way..Request you anybody please help me in this point. Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Invoke unix script using c program

hi i want to invoke a unix script in a C program and also return some value from the script to the C program to use that value further. Basically i am doing a Lookup operation in this unix script and returning the looked up data from a oracle database table.. please help me invoke as well... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somi2yoga
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking a program in a loop

In the following script, I wish to invoke a compiled C++ program, consimv4 and pass it some command line arguments through the shell script's command line arguments and variables. But for some reason, when I run the script, I just return to the shell prompt and nothing happens. For the life of me,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: msaqib
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

invoking non-standard program in linux

I have a program R installed on Ubuntu under /usr/bin/R. I also have a different version installed under /home/user/R. I would like to invoke the locally installed program temporarily. How can I do this automatically by running a script and then switching to the default program? thanks, SM (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smeme
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking a script

I am new to Unix. Could some tell me what are all the possible ways of invoking/executing a script, doesnt matter which shell you are in. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Invoking URL from Unix

I want to post an XML message to a http url from my unix shell script. I have already tried using CURL and XDG-OPEN commands but these commands have to be installed separately, which is not possible at my end. Please suggest a way forward. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeghaKhanna
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Program output in terminal by invoking in cron

Hi, I have lost a lot of hours by looking for answer but without results.. My problem is that: I use Debian GNU/Linux and I want to configure cron in order to run rtorrent every day between 24.00 and 09.00. That part I have achieved, but I couldn't forced cron to make it visible on any of my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: juru_piotr
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

invoking script

hi all, is there a way to run a script upon invoking an application . for eg if i click on mozilla i want a script to run , before runniing mozilla , maybe ask a password or something only then open mozilla (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mithun1!
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking sql server from UNIX

I would like to invoke a procedure in SQL server which will return some results of a select query from UNIX script. I would like to invoke this procedure and load the data into a flat file in UNIX. Can you please help? I am not able to find any sample programs in Internet. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhu.sushmitha
1 Replies
INVOCATION_NAME(3)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						INVOCATION_NAME(3)

NAME
program_invocation_name, program_invocation_short_name - obtain name used to invoke calling program SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <errno.h> extern char *program_invocation_name; extern char *program_invocation_short_name; DESCRIPTION
program_invocation_name contains the name that was used to invoke the calling program. This is the same as the value of argv[0] in main(), with the difference that the scope of program_invocation_name is global. program_invocation_short_name contains the basename component of name that was used to invoke the calling program. That is, it is the same value as program_invocation_name, with all text up to and including the final slash (/), if any, removed. These variables are automatically initialized by the glibc run-time startup code. CONFORMING TO
These variables are GNU extensions, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
The Linux-specific /proc/[number]/cmdline file provides access to similar information. SEE ALSO
proc(5), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2006-04-29 INVOCATION_NAME(3)