Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What/How to check before deleting files and directories Post 79716 by fdarkangel on Friday 29th of July 2005 09:42:46 PM
Old 07-29-2005
you can use
symlinks -vr /dir/to/check | grep /dir/to/delete
to check directory /dir/to/check for symbolic links to some file under /dir/to/delete.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting log files only in particular directories

Hi My problem is i have to remove some log files in specific named directories on a regular basis using shell scripts. What i want my shell script to do is i give the shell script some listing of directories from which to delete all log files recursively. Can anyone please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameervs
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check all files in directories for string and remove.. possible?

Say I am in /var/adm/bin and I want to search through all the various scripts and such in that directory for a string, say, xxx@yyy.com I want to find every file with that in there and replace it with a single space. Is that possible? Or, is it possible to search every file and get a list... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting all the sub directories

hello., i am creating a certain sub directories as apart of my requirement, and then later on i have to delete all those sub directories.. ____________________________________________________ DIR1="/home/pavi/cvs/20071426/TEMP" echo " DIR1 is : " $DESTDIR1 echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all empty files in sub directories with a command

Hello Friends, Im trying to delete empty files in subdirectories with a command. I can find them checking only one directory in each step and then show them with my command like below moreover i could not add removing part: ls -l */* | awk '{if ($5==0) printf "%3s %2d %s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

.sh script / Check for file in two directories then cat the files

Hi, Here is what i'm trying to do, -Check in two directories for a user inputed filename -Then cat all the version found of the file to the current screen I am a total nembie to programming, here what i have done so far.... #!/bin/bash #Check in /home/loonatic and /var/named/master... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loonatic
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting files in sub directories!

Hello out there, I want to setup a crontab feature to remove temporary pdf files from sub directories that are older than 30 days. I want to presevere the directory structer though. I got this far for a command. Will this remove the pdf's in subdirectories or just directly under the pdf folder? If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting directories

I want to delete directories which are empty and directories which are 2 level deep. example: /app/data/logs/G07696115/G07696115 So if a same directory is there inside G07696115 with the same name G07696115, i want to find and delete that alone(Make sure you do not touch directory any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtm004
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting files and directories when the file system reaches the threshold

Hi Can someone assist in writing a script. I have a filesystem named /sybase in my aix lpar. When this filesystem becomes 94% full all the files and directories under /sybase/logs should be deleted immediately. :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies
SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					    SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkshadow - GNU shtool create shadow tree using symlinks SYNOPSIS
shtool mkshadow [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-a|--all] src-dir dst-dir DESCRIPTION
This command creates a shadow tree of src-dir under dst-dir by recreating the directory hierarchy of src-dir under dst-dir and by creating the files of src-dir by linking them into the corresponding directories under dst-dir via symbolic links. When src-dir can be reached via relative paths from dst-dir, relative symbolic links are used, too. This high-level functionality is originally designed for developers to create copies of source trees. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -a, --all Really shadow all files and directories in src-dir. Default is to skip CVS related files and directories, backup files, object files, etc. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkshadow -v -a . /tmp/shadow HISTORY
The GNU shtool mkshadow command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later revised and taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKSHADOW.TMP(1)