Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lots of file copyingand renaming? Post 79685 by piltrafa on Friday 29th of July 2005 03:08:31 PM
Old 07-29-2005
fdarkangel is right

use sed to read n character from each file , then put it in a variable.
For each file, reads the value from $VARIABLE and then mv to the desire pattern.

but be aware that sed could be a little bit tricky.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lots of files.....

Hi All, Thanks in advance for reading and any posts... I have to delete a lot of files (about 6 pages of a4 (ls -ltr)) but I have to keep some as well. I would normally do an rm * to get rid of them all, but thats not what I want to do. Is there anyway I could rm * but add in a list of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
8 Replies

2. Red Hat

Lots of questions about linux.

I am about 2 months new to Linux, and have only limited experience with PCLinuxOS, (kde) and Redhat. I am installing the latest version of PClinuxOS on my wife's PC right now but running into a problem I dont understand. I have never seen it before so i thought i'd ask how I can get around it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

3. Programming

problem with lots of open sockets

I'm programming in C with lots of sockets, (asynchronous handling), and for a while it goes ok, but after a while it starts to hang, or not get complete connections anymore. checking my router, i see that i get nat tables overflow and even my DNS cacher seems to be having serious issues... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien999999999
4 Replies

4. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

5. IP Networking

netstat showing lots of errors

Hi, I have a server which receive lots of events to it and when I do netstat -Ie1000g0, I'm seeing the errors as below. Name Mtu Net/Dest Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Queue e1000g0 1500 abc-1.com abc-1.com 3093708246 12757 92069412 0 0 0 If anyone could direct me to right... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lots of sed

Hi, I have 200 lines of sed commands in a shellscript sed s/TSTARTO2GPRSEVENTAPNACCSUM_1/TSTARTO2GPRSEVENTAPNACCSUM_24/g sed s/O2GPRSEVENTAPNACCSUM_1/O2GPRSEVENTAPNACCSUM_24/g sed s/TENDO2GPRSEVENTAPNACCSUM_1/TENDO2GPRSEVENTAPNACCSUM_24/g sed s/BSTARTO2EVENTITEM_1/BSTARTO2EVENTITEM_24/g... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: legolad
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename lots of files with find?

Can someone help me with this script. I have a bunch of files like this: "2209OS_02_Code" "2209OS_03_Code" "2209OS_04_Code" "2209OS_05_Code" "2209OS_06_Code" "2209OS_07_Code" "2209OS_08_Code" "2209OS_09_Code" "2209OS_10_Code" "2209OS_10_video" and I want to rename them to be like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove answers and explanation parts from a text file with lots of questions.?

Hi, I have a text file with thousands of questions in it. Each question (multiple lines) with multiple choice options, Answer and Explanation (optional). I need to delete Answer & explanation parts for all Questions and insert a blank line before net question. Each question starts with NO. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies
INSTALL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						INSTALL(1)

NAME
install -- install binaries SYNOPSIS
install [-bCcMpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1 file2 install [-bCcMpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ... DESCRIPTION
The file(s) are copied to the target file or directory. If the destination is a directory, then the file is copied into directory with its original filename. If the target file already exists, it is either renamed to file.old if the -b option is given or overwritten if permis- sions allow. An alternate backup suffix may be specified via the -B option's argument. The options are as follows: -B suffix Use suffix as the backup suffix if -b is given. -b Back up any existing files before overwriting them by renaming them to file.old. See -B for specifying a different backup suffix. -C Copy the file. If the target file already exists and the files are the same, then don't change the modification time of the target. -c Copy the file. This is actually the default. The -c option is only included for backwards compatibility. -d Create directories. Missing parent directories are created as required. -f Specify the target's file flags; see chflags(1) for a list of possible flags and their meanings. -g Specify a group. A numeric GID is allowed. -M Disable all use of mmap(2). -m Specify an alternate mode. The default mode is set to rwxr-xr-x (0755). The specified mode may be either an octal or symbolic value; see chmod(1) for a description of possible mode values. -o Specify an owner. A numeric UID is allowed. -p Preserve the modification time. Copy the file, as if the -C (compare and copy) option is specified, except if the target file doesn't already exist or is different, then preserve the modification time of the file. -S Safe copy. Normally, install unlinks an existing target before installing the new file. With the -S flag a temporary file is used and then renamed to be the target. The reason this is safer is that if the copy or rename fails, the existing target is left untouched. -s install exec's the command strip(1) to strip binaries so that install can be portable over a large number of systems and binary types. -v Causes install to show when -C actually installs something. By default, install preserves all file flags, with the exception of the ``nodump'' flag. The install utility attempts to prevent moving a file onto itself. Installing /dev/null creates an empty file. DIAGNOSTICS
The install utility exits 0 on success, and 1 otherwise. FILES
INS@XXXX If either -S option is specified, or the -C or -p option is used in conjuction with the -s option, temporary files named INS@XXXX, where XXXX is decided by mkstemp(3), are created in the target directory. COMPATIBILITY
Historically install moved files by default. The default was changed to copy in FreeBSD 4.4. SEE ALSO
chflags(1), chgrp(1), chmod(1), cp(1), mv(1), strip(1), mmap(2), chown(8) HISTORY
The install utility appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Temporary files may be left in the target directory if install exits abnormally. File flags cannot be set by fchflags(2) over a NFS file system. Other file systems do not have a concept of flags. install will only warn when flags could not be set on a file system that does not support them. install with -v falsely says a file is copied when -C snaps hard links. BSD
May 7, 2001 BSD