Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Oh no!! crazy script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Oh no!! crazy script Post 79654 by piltrafa on Friday 29th of July 2005 11:36:28 AM
Old 07-29-2005
sorry, even if the cron runs the script, the script doesn't do what is expected.
Thats the weird thing about it, the script runs fine if I executed from the command line. also Im pretty sure that the cron runs the script 'cause, as you suggest, I already checked the /var/cron/log file.

I think is something related with the environment. When I run the script from the comman line, there are some settings like PATH, LD_LIBRARY and so on, that are loaded when I log on as root; but is seems that those setting are missing when the script is called from the cron.

I also cheked the /etc/default/cron to add the PATH, but still doesn't work.

I hope its a bit more clear. Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

going crazy with test???

oK, i know for sure that code = Y and var = N but no matter what this always prints ignore, never valid??????? if test "$code"="$var" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mich_elle00
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp going crazy

Dear Friends, I am having a crazy issue with ftp. I am doing 'mput' of 4 files (z1, z2, z3, z4) as below. But ftp transfers only every alternative file !! - ie; If I do mput z* for above, it sends only z1 and z3. Note that all the files are same and I tried this for several dummy files. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdivu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable. If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

crazy dreams..

well, Wine is simply amazing.. I love it. the filesystems are great too -- never having to defragment, and not slowing down in time. I love the power of BASH. iptables.. but.. I had a vision. a crazy dream. what if, we could develop an installation system for Linux.. working pretty much... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ialoq
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -E drives me crazy

Hi there, I'm new here. I registered my self today with this board because I hope to get some help before I'll become a slavering maniac. I'm really desperate, since I'm trying for hours(really!) to let grep search a pattern that goes about 2 lines. The pattern is as follows: Handle... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkelf
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux script - Crazy results

Here is my script: # # Capture the current directory. export -p CurrentDir="`pwd`" echo $CurrentDir # # Capture the new directory name in the form YYYYMMDD. export -p DateDir="`date +"%Y%m%d"`" echo $DateDir # # Store the desired target directory. export -p... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imprimisxo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finger has gone crazy

Two things : On the first place i am really desperate, on the second i am about to throw my laptop away to the recycle bin in a while. Ok now that i expressed my feeling let me describe you this mad situation. Code: print $1; ("finger -m " $1 "| head -1") | getline userinfo print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beatblaster666
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Crazy Dots

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Create a script called DOTS that will display the horizontal or vertical number of dots if the first argument... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchelpmtl
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Here's To The Crazy One

Please excuse my indulgence. Thank you MG Siegler and Steve Jurvetson. But most importantly, thank you Steve Jobs. 8rwsuXHA7RA The world has lost a genius. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scott
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crazy Syntax

Hello All, was looking at a script wrote by someone and when I try and run it in ksh it gives me an error. Could ksh version be a problem or is there something wrong that I'm missing, when I run it from the command line it works. Thanks! results=`sudo -u admin ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akechnie
1 Replies
CRONTABS(4)						      Crontabs users' Manual						       CRONTABS(4)

NAME
crontabs - configuration and scripts for running periodical jobs SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--list|--test]<directory> DESCRIPTION
Crontabs is a historical name for the run-parts script and the system crontab. The run-parts script runs all executables in the specified directory. Run-parts runs all executables in the specified directory. The execution of files can be allowed or denied by creating file jobs.allow or jobs.deny which worked similar as other allow/deny config files. The file must be created in the specified directory. --list print names of all files (not limited to executables), but don't run them. This option can't be used with test option. --test print names of files, which would be run. Randomization of jobs can be configured in the /etc/sysconfig/run-parts file. To enable randomization of jobs, set the RANDOMIZE parameter to 1 and set the RANDOM parameter to an integer which determines a random seed. Additionally, you may configure the RAN- DOMTIME parameter (again, by specifying an integer) to provide an additional level of randomization. Jobs are not randomized when the RANDOM and RANDOMTIME parameters are set to 0. Values in these two parameters must be set to 1 or larger to provide a good enough randomization. Randomization of cron jobs can be useful for shared networks, where multiple cron jobs executed at once can cause spikes in traffic, especially during daily jobs. With randomized jobs, the workload is evenly distributed throughout the day. EXAMPLE OF CONFIGURATION FILE
RANDOMIZE=1 RANDOM=4 RANDOMTIME=8 Historically the crontab file contained configuration which called run-parts on files in cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} directories. These jobs are now run indirectly through anacron to prevent conflicts between cron and anacron. That means the anacron package has to be installed if the jobs in these directories should be running. Refer to the anacron(8) how to limit the time of day of the job execution. EXAMPLE
/etc/cron.daily/jobs.deny could contain for example 0logwatch which forbid execution of this script. SEE ALSO
anacron(8), crontab(5) Marcela Malaova 2012-08-29 CRONTABS(4)