Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl - backticks v system in if statements Post 79600 by gjkeenan on Thursday 28th of July 2005 09:03:45 PM
Old 07-28-2005
Thanks for explaining that. Makes sense now.

The date thing was just an example. The actual code is from this tape changer script and I couldn't understand the logic if the chio command ran OK why the print and exit didn't run after it.

Code:
if ( system("/bin/chio -f $changerDevice move slot ".($tape-1)." drive 0
") ) {
    print "$progname: cannot '/bin/chio -f $changerDevice move' tape
 $tape into drive 0\n";
    exit(2);
}
print LOG &do_time(), ": leave: Load\n";

gjkeenan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backticks within backticks?

Hi, I'm trying to do something like this: range= `expr `date '+%m'` - 1` and it does not work. How can I tell it to evaluate an expression within another expression evaluation? I was at first worried that `date '+%m'` would return a string but apparently expr does the math okay normally, so the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Am I abusing backticks?

I'm always concerned I might be abusing backticks within my scripts. A current script I'm writing has this for example: stripscriptname=`echo $scriptname | sed 's/\(.*\)\..*/\1/'` stripsearch=`echo $searchpattern | tr -d ' ,/'` Both of these variables are set inside the script (in fact,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use statements and system glitch

hi, i have a perl script that runs as a cron job... Once in a while, the perl script fails with: Can't locate <module>.pm in @INC (@INC contains: .............) because one of the perl modules specified in the "use" statements is unavailable due to an NFS glitch. Is there some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl if elsif statements

I have having problems with an IF statement in my perl script: if ($model eq "N\\A") {} elsif ($kernel =~ m/xen/) { $model = ("Virtual Machine\n")}; What i am trying to accomplish is if the model is set to "N\A" and the kernel variable has xen somewhere in it i would like to change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
3 Replies

5. Programming

String if statements - Perl

So far, all I have been able to come up with is: if ($check=~/no/ || $check=~/n/) but the problem with this, is that it looks for any character and the if statement is true. So if I wanted to check for an argument "-help" or lets say a variable string that could be a file name. Then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

perl backticks: can't redirect output.

Hi everyone. This is a bit of a perl/linux mixed question. I am trying to redirect STDOUT of chsh by using the following line of perl code. system ("chsh -s /sbin/nologin $testing 1>/dev/null"); This should redirect STDOUT to /dev/null but it won't do that for some odd reason. Any ideas or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] using backticks to call bash from perl

Hi all, Here is my code: my $x = `bash -c \" ls -l filename | awk '{print \$5}'\"`; print "$x\n"; This will run the first part of the bash script but not the awk command. It therefore gives output of: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13619200 2012-04-25 08:16 filename I am actually trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: free2rhyme2k
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH and Backticks [solved]

I have been testing a new script and cannot figure out why my `cat spath` will not execute on the remote machine? sudo ssh -p 22344 -o "PasswordAuthentication no" -o "HostbasedAuthentication yes" -l testuser 192.168.1.6 "find `cat spath` -depth" cat: spath: No such file or directory but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting backticks

I'm trying to make a dialog window that prints the output of grep that takes the output of find. Unfortunately my nested backticks don't work. Here is the dialog window: dialog --stdout --title "test" --backtitle "test" --msgbox "Test:\n `grep -l "${tablica}" `find $string``" 16 60I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl combine multiple map statements

I have a file like file. file.TODAY.THISYEAR file.TODAY.LASTYEARI want to substitute the words in caps with their actual values so that output should look like file.140805 file.140805.2014 file.140805.2013For this I am reading the file line bye line in an array and using multiple map... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
1 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD