Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Renice job
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renice job Post 79574 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of July 2005 12:39:51 PM
Old 07-28-2005
Why not just nice the job as you run it? Long running or not, it may not be a top cpu user. If must wait and renice it later, track down the shell that is running your script and renice that. As it spawns subprocesses, they will inherit the nice level.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help Me With This Nice And Renice Stuff

i read a book about this a couple of times and i still find it confusing. they talking about when you increase a priority number, that decreases nice number. I really dont understand this. I'm working on a solaris and linux red hat 7.2 system. if anyone can explain this stuff to me in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing unix job after the job process completes

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtazv
1 Replies

3. Solaris

killing a unix job after the job process gets completed

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. Thanks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtazv
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job dependent on other job

Hi All I am trying to run one command ie grep but I want it should execute only after the completion of a shell script has finished. eg Following is my script : java -mx64m $JAVA_OPTS -Dant.home=$ANT_HOME -classpath $_CLASSPATH org.apache.tools.ant.Main -verbose -buildfile /opt/bea/wls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert child job under a box job?

I have this box job and it contains only one job under it which is to load a file. I want to insert a "File Watcher", "Copy File" to it? Have no clue how to do that...any help plzzz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xejatt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start a Job after finding the Old job completed

Hi Experts, I need a script advice to schedule 12 jobs ( SAS Codes execute back ground ). Algorithem: 1. Script checks first job. 2. Finds first job is done; invoke second job. 3. finds second job is done; invoke third job. .. Request you to please assist. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

autosys job configuration for job failure.

We need to configure autosys that when a job fails continously for 3 times, we need to call another job. Is this possible in Autosys, or can anyone advice on the alternative. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangea
2 Replies

8. AIX

nice and renice

hello , We would like to increase the priority of the oracle process . Process(240001 ) should get the priority like the process(240103 ). Am not sure what value i should mention in the renice command(aix 6.1). Please assist me. 240001 A oracle 26804312 1 0 60 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Autosys Job: Job did not start

I have submitted an autosys job and force start it. Autosys hit the job 4 times to restart but it did not start and finally I terminate the job. Any idea why the job did not start. Below is the code I executed. 1214 missun0ap /export/home/bzn97r/develop/dswi/jil$ sendevent -E FORCE_STARTJOB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renice command with input argument as a file

Hi all could you help me how to give pids in a file as an argument to renice command. Thanks in Advance.. :) Pradeep (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
4 Replies
RENICE(1)							   User Commands							 RENICE(1)

NAME
renice - alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice [-n] priority [-g|-p|-u] identifier... DESCRIPTION
renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The first argument is the priority value to be used. The other arguments are interpreted as process IDs (by default), process group IDs, user IDs, or user names. renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. OPTIONS
-n, --priority priority Specify the scheduling priority to be used for the process, process group, or user. Use of the option -n or --priority is optional, but when used it must be the first argument. -g, --pgrp Interpret the succeeding arguments as process group IDs. -p, --pid Interpret the succeeding arguments as process IDs (the default). -u, --user Interpret the succeeding arguments as usernames or UIDs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
The following command would change the priority of the processes with PIDs 987 and 32, plus all processes owned by the users daemon and root: renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 NOTES
Users other than the superuser may only alter the priority of processes they own. Furthermore, an unprivileged user can only increase the ``nice value'' (i.e., choose a lower priority) and such changes are irreversible unless (since Linux 2.6.12) the user has a suitable ``nice'' resource limit (see ulimit(1) and getrlimit(2)). The superuser may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range -20 to 19. Useful priorities are: 19 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user IDs SEE ALSO
nice(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), credentials(7), sched(7) HISTORY
The renice command appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The renice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 RENICE(1)