Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure Post 79335 by vino on Wednesday 27th of July 2005 05:39:48 AM
Old 07-27-2005
I assume that your find is something like this

find /dir1 -name '*.dbf'

In that case, use

tar cvf - `find /dir1 -name '*.dbf'` > dir1.tar

Whatever your find is, put it betwen the backticks ` `.

Go to /newdir and untar the dir1.tar

vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Directory Structure

I have writen the following code to show the dirctory structure. Can any body help me for using the recursive function in this code? echo "-(0)" echo "$HOME-(1)" cd ~ set * for i in `ls $HOME` do if then echo ".....${i}" cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying with directory structure

Hi, I need to copy a set of directories along with all sub directories and files from one unix box to another. Any ideas? cnfsed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cnfsed
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection and copying with same directory structure

Dear Experts, How can I solve this problem ? I want to redirect with having the same directory structure as in my input. for temp in `find ./CSV/ -name "*.v"` do fname = `basename $temp` ./script.sh $temp > ./out/$fname done But my problem here is all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
3 Replies

5. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a directory structure with the latest versions of files

Hello I have three directory structures for code releases. Each directory structure looks like this: bash-3.00$ ls -R | more .: Test_Release_1 Test_Release_2 Test_Release_3 ./Test_Release_1/dbcode: rp_online_import_srdp.pkb-1 srdp_ar_validation.pkb-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with copying specific parts of a file structure

Hello. I need help with copying part of a file structure to another directory while still keeping the structure. For example look below: ../folder1/sub1/txt.txt ../folder1/sub2/pic.png ../folder2/sub1/pic.png ../folder2/sub2/txt.txt So in this I would like to copy only the directories and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to new dir structure.

I am trying to figure out a way to script copying specific files from one dir structure to another. I have a dir structure like this: dira/author 1/book 1/file a.epub /book 2/file b.epub /author 2/book 1/file c.epub /author 3/book 1/file d.epub /book 2/file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcanas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying the dir/subdir structure from one server to another?

Hi All, I want to copy the dir/subdir structure from SERVER-A to SERVER-B without copying all the files in each dir. Is it possible using SCP / SFTP command? For example, SERVER-A has following two dir/subdirectories and files under each subdir. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies
SYNCTREE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYNCTREE(1)

NAME
synctree - synchronize directory trees. SYNOPSIS
synctree [-iuf] [[user1@]machine1:]dir1 [[user2@]machine2:]dir2 DESCRIPTION
Synctree synchronizes the directory tree rooted at dir2 with dir1. It walks recursively through both trees, and deletes and adds files in dir2 to make it equal to dir1. Mode, owner and group are set for each file unless the -u flag is given. In its normal mode of operation, synctree will ask if it may delete or add directories assuming that you don't want to. Non-directories are simply deleted or added, but synctree will ask if it needs to update a normal file with a default answer of 'y'. Simply typing return will choose the default answer, typing end-of-file is like typing return to this question and all other questions. You can specify a hostname and user-id to be used to access dir1 or dir2. Synctree will use rsh(1) to run a copy of itself on the remote machine. The call interface mimics that of rcp(1), but you can use more than one user@machine prefix if you want to make things really interesting. Hard links are enforced, an update is done by first deleting the old file so that links to unknown files are broken. Links to files within dir2 will be restored. If either directory contains the file .backup, then this file will be used as an alternate inode table. This allows one to make a backup copy of a file tree full of special files and differing user-ids on a remote machine under an unpriviledged user-id. OPTIONS
-i Ask for permission (with default answer 'n') to delete or add any file or directory. -u Only install newer files, i.e. merge the directory trees. -f Don't ask, think 'yes' on any question. SEE ALSO
remsync(1), cpdir(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), perror(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Messages may come from three different processes. One named "Slave" running in dir1, one named "Master" running in dir2, and synctree itself in a mediator role. The mediator will also perform the task of either the master or the slave if one of them is running locally. You need to know this to interpret the error messages coming from one of these processes. The messages are normally based on perror(3). Failure to contact a remote machine will be reported by rsh. Synctree should have a zero exit status if no errors have been encountered. BUGS
Directory dir2 will be created without asking. The master and slave processes get their error output mixed up sometimes (nice puzzle). The local and remote machine must use the same file type encoding. The link replacement strategy may lead to lack of space on a small device. Let synctree run to completion and then rerun it to pick up the pieces. Letting the local process keep its "synctree" name may be a mistake. It talks too much. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot, (kjb@cs.vu.nl) SYNCTREE(1)