Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Real smart question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Real smart question Post 79097 by infierno on Monday 25th of July 2005 11:24:33 AM
Old 07-25-2005
lpr is the off-line printer... lp is just a frontend to the lpr. (that is in FreeBSD, maybe is the same in Sun Solaris), out put from man lp(1):

LP(1) FreeBSD General Commands Manual LP(1)

NAME
lp
-- front-end to the print spooler

SYNOPSIS
lp
[ -cs ] [ -o option ] [ -d printer ] [ -n num ] [ name ... ]

DESCRIPTION
The lp utility is a front-end to the print spooler as required by the
IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. It effectively invokes
lpr(1) with the proper set of arguments.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

smart question

eg. : there is a file - 322 bytes, how can I (or you) view just a half of file (161 bytes)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

smart script?

First, I know that's a bad title. I couldn't think of anything short enough. ... I wrote the following script to let me know when various parts of the network are down. It used to look like this before last weekend when I got over 500 emails about 1 host being down all weekend: this is in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies
TEXTPS(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 TEXTPS(8)

NAME
textps - text to PostScript filter nscript - text to PostScript converter SYNOPSIS
textps [ -T[option[,option]*]* ] [ lpr filter options ] [ filename... ] options: [ c=n ] [ l=n ] [ m=n ] [ t=n ] [ v=n ] nscript [ -G ] [ -r ] [ -2 ] [ -t width ] [ -pfile ] [ -Pprinter ] [ filename... ] DESCRIPTION
textps is a simple text to PostScript filter. When invoked as nscript it (weakly) simulates the Adobe Systems Incorporated enscript pro- gram, converting text to PostScript and adding headers. textps is usually invoked automatically by a print spooler while nscript is usu- ally invoked by a user. Input files can use ISO Latin-1. Two or more identical overstruck characters are rendered using a bold font. Tabs are assumed to be set every 8 character positions. textps is designed to produce good output with lpr -p or pr | lpr; if you print unpaginated text, you will need to increase the t option value and decrease the v or l option value. TEXTPS OPTIONS
c=n Use n characters to the inch. l=n Use n lines per page. m=n Use a left margin of n points. t=n Position the baseline of the first line of text n points below the top of the page. v=n Use a vertical spacing of n points. The default behaviour is -Tc=12,l=66,m=18,t=8,v=12. NSCRIPT OPTIONS
By default, nscript will send the formatted output to lpr; the -P option can select the printer. -G Gaudy output - a header and labels for the input files are placed on the output page. -r rotated (landscape) output. -twidth Set tab stop to width characters. -2 two column output. -pfile send output to file. -Pprinter spool output to printer using lpr. Note: the combination nscript -2Gr is useful for viewing listings. AUTHORS
Original Author: James Clark <jj@jclark.com>, used with with his permission; Modified by: Patrick Powell <papowell@sdsu.edu> SEE ALSO
psrev(1), psfilter(1), psbanner(1) 3.5.20 TEXTPS(8)