Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to install this utility CC k[ESC} Post 77888 by navin10 on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 04:04:57 PM
Old 07-13-2005
my question is different

this is to do with command terminal and not vi editors,

try this simple thing in your terminal
if you have a lots of .c files (some starting with letter n or any letter you want, create a new.c if you want) then at the prompt

CC n[hit ESCAPE]

then in the terminal prompt you will see

CC new.c

if that is the only file starting with n

I had this utility earlier now I dont have it. thanks for answering my question but I tried going into ksh, it did not work.

I hope you understand what I want. thanks anyway.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

append esc string

I have a request that is simple, but I can't figure out how to do it. I have a unix file that I want to append the following string to the front of the file <esc>&l1O<esc>(0U<esc>(s0p16.66h8.5v0s0b0T and an <esc>E to the end. I know that I could do something like cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

2. Linux

ESC sequence on RHEL5

We have migrated one of servers from RH 2.1 to RHEL5 , some of the scripts on our machine use escape sequence to print output . Om RH 2.1 we were using echo echo "\033ERROR, which would give output ERROr in red . However the script does not work properly with RH5 and gives \033 as output . I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Epson ESC/P2 on solaris prints LD

I am hoping someone can help me with this little riddle. I have an oldish Epson ESC/P2 which I connected to a solaris10 box, with 2 queues, 1 with the solaris print filter so I can print from Solaris (works fine), and a second raw queue so that windows machines can print to it. The raw queue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdommett
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to install xdiff utility in Ubuntu7.10

Hello Experts, Recently I tried to install xdiff program in my Ubuntu7.10. I downloaded xdiff-ext-0.2.0 from Download xdiff-ext 0.2.0 for Linux - Compare files easily - Softpedia. Then I untared the tar ball and did the following steps- # cd xdiff-ext-0.2.0/ # ./configure # make # make check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adc22
1 Replies

5. SuSE

xterm does not recognize CSI / ESC[

Hi all, I try to use my xterm from SUSE 11.1 as vt100/200 emulator. Problem is that my application sends the CSI as 8bit (0x9b) instead of the ESC+[ commands. With the default settings, xterm doesn't recognize this character as CSI, but prints an inverted question mark CSI works when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tritigr
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to invoke ESC+K

How to invoke ESC+K to get recent commands in Korn Shell. In some of the unix machine ESC+K is available and in some machines, it does not work. All of the machines that I work have Korn shell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Esc - key

hi i remember sometime back working in unix, when u dont recall a complete file name..u hit ESC key couple of times and actual complete name of that file which u looking for , gets visible For this to be enabled , do we need to make any entry in .profile file. In my current project, am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File name starts with esc character.

How can I refer to a file named esc[G ? I need to delete it or move it. TIA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Esc-k and command history

Good afternoon, I am an Oracle DBA that is a bit stumped on the sudo and viewing historical commands. In the past on solaris 10 we would all first use our own username and password to putty to our unix box. Then in our /home/"my username"/.profile file it is setup to use sudo -u oracle for us to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cptkirkh
5 Replies
lookbib(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        lookbib(1)

NAME
lookbib - find references in a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
lookbib database DESCRIPTION
A bibliographic reference is a set of lines, constituting fields of bibliographic information. Each field starts on a line beginning with a `%', followed by a key-letter, then a blank, and finally the contents of the field, which may continue until the next line starting with `%'. The lookbib utility uses an inverted index made by indxbib to find sets of bibliographic references. It reads keywords typed after the `>' prompt on the terminal, and retrieves records containing all these keywords. If nothing matches, nothing is returned except another `>' prompt. It is possible to search multiple databases, as long as they have a common index made by indxbib(1). In that case, only the first argument given to indxbib is specified to lookbib. If lookbib does not find the index files (the .i[abc] files), it looks for a reference file with the same name as the argument, without the suffixes. It creates a file with a .ig suffix, suitable for use with fgrep (see grep(1)). lookbib then uses this fgrep file to find refer- ences. This method is simpler to use, but the .ig file is slower to use than the .i[abc] files, and does not allow the use of multiple reference files. FILES
x.ia x.ib x.ic index files x.ig reference file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), grep(1), indxbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Probably all dates should be indexed, since many disciplines refer to literature written in the 1800s or earlier. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 lookbib(1)