Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Interprocess communication status Post 77886 by jerardfjay on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 04:01:51 PM
Old 07-13-2005
Interprocess communication status

hello gurus,

I was wondering if someone would help me shed more light on this command.
What I know so far is
ipcs - stands for inter-process communication status and it reports on the following types of system resources.
1) Message queues
2) Shared memory and
3) Semaphores

Please explain in some detail what these types of resources mean. Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't open status file /var/samba/STATUS.LCK

I believe i have most of samba configured right but i get this error each time time try to run it. I was given suggestion that i touch the file, i did, but i still cannot rid myself of this error. Any suggestions (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

serial communication

This isn't really a unix question, or even a programming question, but I hope you guys can help. I want to create a program to control the electricity on a model railway. I have created the program to that it sends characters over the serial cable, but now I need to do the switch that will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interprocess communication using pipes and fork

I'm very worried. I have an assignment that is due in 3 weeks, and also tute exercises which I can't seem to understand and work out. Okay, the question: The parent process will convert the command arguments into integer values using atoi() and store them into an integer array which you will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scmay
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pipe, interprocess communication

Earlier I posted a question regarding this issue. I managed to go a step further. Anyway, this is another similar question Write a programme that creates a ring of three processes connected by pipes. The first process should prompt the user for a string and then send it to the second process .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scmay
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the status and send an email with status

Hi, We have a text file which has the following data. ISA~00~ ~00~ ~ZZ~VISTN ~ZZ~U1CAD ~051227~183 7~U~00200~000011258~0~P~< GS~FA~EE05J~U1CAD~051227~1831~000011258~X~002002 ST~997~0001 AK1~SH~247 AK2~856~2470001 AK5~A AK2~856~2470002 AK5~A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Installing RedHat 8.0 onto Dell PowerEdge SC1425 - hdc: status error: status = 0x58

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive. Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across both hard drives from CD: ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interprocess Communication

Hiya Everybody just joined, Not sure if this is the right section:o I require abit of an assistance with IPC! I know there are different types of IPC porcesses like signals, semaphores, mutexes, shared memory, message queues, pipes and sockets. Now say a system has a number of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.I.Joe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging/Reading Interprocess Communications

Greetings, I'm posting this in the shell scripting forum because I'm hoping this can be done in BASH or PERL. If not, I'm still open to suggestions of other ways to do it: I've got an iPhone app that's sending some encrypted (SSL) traffic to a server and I'd like to be able to read the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: FiZiX
0 Replies

9. Programming

How to track table status delete/update/insert status in DB2 V10 z/os?

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status ?

How to see the status of all the ftp put & get files logs and curent ftp transfer status if any active ftp running in the background ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
2 Replies
IPCS(1) 							   User Commands							   IPCS(1)

NAME
ipcs - show information on IPC facilities SYNOPSIS
ipcs [options] DESCRIPTION
ipcs shows information on the inter-process communication facilities for which the calling process has read access. By default it shows information about all three resources: shared memory segments, message queues, and semaphore arrays. OPTIONS
-i, --id id Show full details on just the one resource element identified by id. This option needs to be combined with one of the three resource options: -m, -q or -s. -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. Resource options -m, --shmems Write information about active shared memory segments. -q, --queues Write information about active message queues. -s, --semaphores Write information about active semaphore sets. -a, --all Write information about all three resources (default). Output formats Of these options only one takes effect: the last one specified. -c, --creator Show creator and owner. -l, --limits Show resource limits. -p, --pid Show PIDs of creator and last operator. -t, --time Write time information. The time of the last control operation that changed the access permissions for all facilities, the time of the last msgsnd(2) and msgrcv(2) operations on message queues, the time of the last shmat(2) and shmdt(2) operations on shared mem- ory, and the time of the last semop(2) operation on semaphores. -u, --summary Show status summary. Representation These affect only the -l (--limits) option. -b, --bytes Print sizes in bytes. --human Print sizes in human-readable format. SEE ALSO
ipcmk(1), ipcrm(1), msgrcv(2), msgsnd(2), semget(2), semop(2), shmat(2), shmdt(2), shmget(2) CONFORMING TO
The Linux ipcs utility is not fully compatible to the POSIX ipcs utility. The Linux version does not support the POSIX -a, -b and -o options, but does support the -l and -u options not defined by POSIX. A portable application shall not use the -a, -b, -o, -l, and -u options. AUTHOR
Krishna Balasubramanian <balasub@cis.ohio-state.edu> AVAILABILITY
The ipcs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux July 2014 IPCS(1)