Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory mounting an fs with bad block?? Post 77677 by dummix on Tuesday 12th of July 2005 04:59:51 AM
Old 07-12-2005
i found a HP9000 with 10.20. unfortunately the -f option does not work either.
Is there a way to edit the master directory block?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bad magic number in super-block

I am running mandrake 8.2 and when booting I get the message: e2fschk: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda8. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and really contains a valid an ext2 filesystem (and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jay
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

BAD SUPER BLOCK - Run fsck with alternate super block number

Error received when I tried to restore a blank disk with an 'auto recovery' DDS tape via HP-UX recovery system 2.0 onto a 1Gb SCSI. I assumed it would do the setup, wrong. Could someone tell me the procedure to initial disk for recovering files using cpio. The system is a HP-UX 9.04 version on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin wanabee
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad Super Block: Magic Number Wrong

I had a power outage a day ago and when the power came back on my FreeBSD 4.6 webserver had problems. It said it was unable to mount /var and made me start in single user mode and said to run fsck MANUALY. So i did and this is now what i get. www# fsck /dev/ad0s1e ** /dev/ad0s1e BAD SUPER... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewbane
4 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris error BAD SUPER BLOCK

I want mount a disk. I have this error. I'm trying to correct with the superblock but i have the same error. Look my procedure. bash-2.03# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Alternate super block location: 9423392. ** /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG USE AN ALTERNATE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Bad super block: Magic number wrong

Whenever i run, # fsck -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 The following error prompt out:- ** /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; eg. fsck -o b=# where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can't repair super block, bad magic number

Hello all, I have a hard drive that I can't repair. The drive is WD15EARS - Filesystem ext4 ( not 100% sure ) It's used in a Synology DS110j NAS. I try to run fsck -p /dev/sdb on the HD and I get this: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb /dev/sdb: The superblock... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallasw1983
4 Replies

10. Solaris

File System Error: BAD SUPERBLOCK AT BLOCK 16: NUMBER OF DIRECTORIES OUT OF RANGE

Hi All, we are having a file system error in one of our servers. The server failed to boot in usual user mode. Instead boot with single user mode and requesting to run a FSCK manually to repair the corrupted. see the below output. Netra T2000, No Keyboard Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddhike G
5 Replies
nisbackup(1M)                                             System Administration Commands                                             nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)