Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron wall message problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cron wall message problem Post 77264 by RTM on Wednesday 6th of July 2005 02:37:11 PM
Old 07-06-2005
If you do the command you put in the script from the command line, don't you get an error stating 'Cannot open stop backup'?

Put your message into a file. Use either of the following in the script:
cat /yourdir/your-msg-file | wall
wall < /yourdir/your-msg-file

where /yourdir/your-msg-file is the file you use to contain the message you want to send. Add the -a option to send to all terminals.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I deny messaging which use "wall" to send message out?

Dear all, How can I deny messaging which use "wall" command to send message out? regards Wilson (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron message queue problem

I have a problem with running jobs out of cron on Solaris 8. Initially when one of the users on the box (other than root) attempted to save the crontab after modification by using "crontab -e", the message "Crontab: cannot open the crontab file in the crontab directory" was given. I then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running "wall" command from cron

Hello, Ive written a little script that broadcasts a message if certain criteria are met. The script works fine when I run it. I entered it in the crontab to run every hour on the hour. The script executes, but the wall command doesnt seem to be executing correctly. I only have this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron is already running message...

I am trying to schedule a new job but I get # cron # ! cron is already running Mon Jul 11 08:28:51 WAT 2005 ! ******* CRON ABORTED ******** Mon Jul 11 08:28:51 WAT 2005 I tried the -l and -e switches but I get the same message I am using HP-UX Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reply a message in Cron?.

Hi; I want to schedule a backup in the cron, I know that the backup will use 2 tapes. How do I make to see the message of tape change and to respond him? TIA Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gareljos
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

[help] how to send wall/broadcast message to all clients

Hi, as per title, please help me.. I use command wall host1 host2 hellowwwww but it only receive in the host1.. how can I send this to all the clients.. I want this 1 server to send to all the clients.. or is there any program that I can use? I know this openfire, but seems complicated since... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
5 Replies

7. AIX

AIX power problem cron message on screen

Hello, I keep getting this message even after i removed it from the cron enteries it was added automatically Broadcast message from root@oradb (tty) at 12:00:00 ... rc.powerfail:2::WARNING!!! The system is now operating with a power problem. This message will be walled every 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

8. SuSE

Wall execution problems from cron

So I've been tasked with creating a shell script to run in a cron every few minutes to check duplex settings on my eth0 nic card. I would like for the server to send a wall message to whoever is on the console or in a terminal session. Below is what I have so far. 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lutador72
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wall execution problems from cron

So I've been tasked with creating a shell script to run in a cron every few minutes to check duplex settings on my eth0 nic card. I would like for the server to send a wall message to whoever is on the console or in a terminal session. Below is what I have so far. 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lutador72
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies
WALL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           WALL(1)

NAME
wall - write a message to all users SYNOPSIS
wall [-n] [-t timeout] [-g group] [message | file] DESCRIPTION
wall displays a message, or the contents of a file, or otherwise its standard input, on the terminals of all currently logged in users. The command will wrap lines that are longer than 79 characters. Short lines are whitespace padded to have 79 characters. The command will always put a carriage return and new line at the end of each line. Only the superuser can write on the terminals of users who have chosen to deny messages or are using a program which automatically denies messages. Reading from a file is refused when the invoker is not superuser and the program is set-user-ID or set-group-ID. OPTIONS
-n, --nobanner Suppress the banner. -t, --timeout timeout Abandon the write attempt to the terminals after timeout seconds. This timeout must be a positive integer. The default value is 300 seconds, which is a legacy from the time when people ran terminals over modem lines. -g, --group group Limit printing message to members of group defined as a group argument. The argument can be group name or GID. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
Some sessions, such as wdm, that have in the beginning of utmp(5) ut_type data a ':' character will not get the message from wall. This is done to avoid write errors. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), write(1), shutdown(8) HISTORY
A wall command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The wall command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux August 2013 WALL(1)