Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automatic Kill -help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Automatic Kill -help Post 77001 by zazzybob on Saturday 2nd of July 2005 08:02:44 AM
Old 07-02-2005
Please post the output of the uname -a command, so we know which UNIX you're working with.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to kill find with kill -9

Hello everyone I am using HP Ux and had run a find command. Now I am trying to kill it with kill or kill -9 but it is not getting killed and still running. Any clues ? Thanks Sidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
5 Replies

3. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Diff b/n kill and kill -9

Hi, I have a process with say pid x. What is the difference b/n kill x and kill -9 x in unix Thanks Ammu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

6. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[REQ] Automatic script kill process

HI, I'm using CentOS 5.1 x86_64, CPanel .. a lot of my users used too much resource, i want to write a script to kill all of them. Eg: LFD always notify me: Time: Sun Apr 27 07:40:08 2008 Account: xxxx (my user) Resource: Virtual Memory Size Exceeded: 110 > 100 (MB)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onisoc
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Cannot kill a process with kill -9

Hello everyone, I have a process that I want to kill. I have tried kill-9 PID but it doesn't work. I have tried preap PID but it doesn't work too. The parent of my process is the process whose PID is 1, so I can't kill it. My OS is a Solaris 9. Can anyone help me understand what's going... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

System not responding and Automatic process kill

Hi All, One of our servers stopped responding , unable to take any logins into it, the response is almost nil...later it resumed Also during this time one of our application processes which was costly on memory got killed..is it an OOM kill? Would like to know to know how to avoid such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
4 Replies
uname(1)						      General Commands Manual							  uname(1)

NAME
uname - Displays information about the operating system SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnrsvp] uname [-S system-name] The uname command displays system information or sets the system name. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: uname: XCU5.0, SVID 4 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Displays all information specified with the -m, -n, -r, -s, and -v options. Displays the type of hardware running the system. Displays the name of the node (this may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). [Tru64 UNIX] Displays the processor type of the current host. Displays the release number of the operating system. Displays the name of the implementation of the operating system. (This option is on by default.) [Tru64 UNIX] Changes the name of the system to system_name. The system_name argument is restricted to SYS_NMLN-1 characters. The value of SYS_NMLN is implementation specific and is defined in /usr/include/sys/utsname.h. Only users with appropriate privileges can use this option. Displays the operating system version. OPERANDS
None DESCRIPTION
The uname command writes system information to standard output. This command is used primarily to determine which system you are using. The options cause selected information returned by the uname() call to be displayed. NOTES
When the -a option is used, output is displayed in the order: <system> <node> <release> <version> <hardware> When you request information by specifying the individual options, the appropriate information is displayed in the order indicated. [Tru64 UNIX] If the -p option is used, processor information is appended to the output line. The output of uname may include embedded blank spaces, so you should use caution when passing the output to parsing algorithms. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The requested information has been successfully written. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the complete system name and version banner, enter: uname -a ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of uname: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
System name information header file. Node specific configuration file. SEE ALSO
Functions: uname(2) Standards: standards(5) uname(1)