Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check first character in var's value. Post 76907 by vgersh99 on Friday 1st of July 2005 11:11:37 AM
Old 07-01-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by yongho
That's actually in Korn Shell. I found it here on google.

http://www.awprofessional.com/articl...99035&seqNum=3

It's one of the last examples way at the bottom.
they don't mention it, but it only applies to the newer shell - ksh93
for example Sun's stock ksh is ksh88 without that capability.

on the other hand Sun's /usr/dt/bin/dtksh is ksh93-compatible.

Last edited by vgersh99; 07-01-2005 at 12:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for the first character to be blank

I'm having a problem when the first line or first character of a file is blank. I need to get rid of both of them when they occur but don't want to delete the line. Does anyone have any suggestions? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne: search for a non-numeric character in $VAR

if $1 = "123x456", how can I test for the non-numeric character 'x' in that string. I've tried expr with "" but it did not find the x. Any ideas? Can this perhaps be done with sed? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check string of character

how can i check whether variable contains only character from a-z or A-Z....if my variable contains any alpha numeric, numeric or any character with some special one i.e. *%&@! etcetera etcetera....then it should show me please enter only characters...... Let my variable var1="abc77}|" then... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
9 Replies

4. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check number of character

hi, I would like to calculate number of character for a number, for exemple : 1200 --> there are 4 characters , 120001 -> 5 characters (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: francis_tom
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for special character in a value

Hi, I have a variable and to it always alphanumeric value will be assigned. If the value has any special characters in it then in the if statement it should exit like below if (value has any speacial character) then exit else .... fi can any one suggest how to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavnayas
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check to see if string var is empty

i have a veriable set var1 set var2 = abcd how can i check if var 1 is empty and if var 2 is not empty ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirnir26
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script to check /var file system

deleting (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Var Check Script (Help improve if possible)

I am working on a script to check the var on all of my systems. Can someone help me fix it to work better or give me suggestions. #!/bin/ksh IN=/path/to/list_of_workstations.txt while read hostnames do if ping $hostnames 1 | grep alive > /dev/null then percent=`ssh -q... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whotippedmycow
3 Replies
NNCHECK(1)						      General Commands Manual							NNCHECK(1)

NAME
nncheck - check for unread articles SYNOPSIS
nncheck [ -Q -r -t ] [ -f format ] DESCRIPTION
nncheck will report if there are some articles on the system which you have not read. Without options, nncheck will simply print a message reporting the number of unread articles with the following format: There are 327 unread articles in 25 groups and when there are no unread articles, the following message will be printed: No News (is good news) nncheck will exit with a value of 0 if there are unread articles, and 99 if there is no news (see the exception for the -r option.) It is important to notice that even though unread articles have been reported by nncheck, the actual number of unread articles may be much lower (or even zero) when nn is invoked to read the articles. This is because the calculation of the number of unread articles is only based on recorded article number intervals. Invoking nn to read the articles may reveal that the articles have previously been read in another news group, have been expired, or are killed using the auto-kill facility. The following options are used to modify the amount and format of the output from nncheck: -Q Quiet operation. No output is produced, only the exit status indicate whether there is unread news. -t Print the name of each group with unread articles, and how many unread articles there are (not counting split digests!). -r Output a single integer value specifying the number of unread articles, and exit with a 0 status (somebody told me this would be useful). -f format Output the number of unread articles using the specified format. The format is a text that may contain the following %-escapes: %-code resulting output %u "uuu unread articles" %g "ggg groups" %i "is" if 1 unread article, else "are" %U "uuu" %G "ggg" where uuu is the number of unread articles, and ggg is the number of groups with unread articles. For example, the default output format is "There %i %u in %g" which I prefer to the following less perfect format: "There are %U unread article(s) in %G group(s)" FILES
~/.newsrc The record of read articles $db/MASTER The database master index SEE ALSO
nn(1), nngoback(1), nngrab(1), nngrep(1), nnpost(1), nntidy(1) nnadmin(1M), nnusage(1M), nnmaster(1M) AUTHOR
Kim F. Storm, Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark E-mail: storm@texas.dk 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNCHECK(1)