Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: output and execute
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers output and execute Post 76838 by zazzybob on Thursday 30th of June 2005 10:12:26 PM
Old 06-30-2005
although if inside a script the $ in $3 will not be interpreted literally - $3 would be the third positional parameter passed.

If used outside the script (and no set -- blah stuff has been executed) and $3 was not set, the file would simply be called "x"

Also, when executing, if "." is not in your path, you'll need to state
./$3x

</pedant>

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute the output of one liner print

Hello I wrote simple one liner that take RunTime *.exe and link them to the output of the compilation output: find ~/DevEnv/. -name "*.exe" | xargs ls -l | awk '{ x=split($9,a,"/"); print "ln -s " $9 " "a}' and it gives me the desire output , but how can I execute this ln command on every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute the Output

I am developing a shell script to dynamically generate the DMLs (for hundreds of SQL/Tables) using the gendml command. I want to pass the output of this program(gen_dml.ksh) to a shell and execute it. Can yo give some inputs? #!/bin/ksh #Program name :=gen_dml.ksh echo m_db gendml oracle.dbc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kousikan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute command created from sql output

Hi, I've would like to create kill statement from sqlplus output. So, I've modified somoene's script : mud_kill_stmt=`sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF select 'kill -9 ' || p.SPID || ';' statement from $process_view p, $session_ ......... and so on exit; EOF` $mud_kill_stmt | tr ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arkadiusz Masny
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute output lines

I have a command (not shell script) that general several lines of output like this... scp /var/lib/mysql/jitu/email.* root@172.29.0.218:/root/pitu/ scp /var/lib/mysql/jitu/orders.* root@172.29.0.218:/root/pitu/ I tried adding xargs but it did not work. -exec was not tried because I guess it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute the Output Lines.

Hi, My Script looks like this #! /bin/ksh cd /usr/SrcFiles/ADD; while read line do d=`echo $line|cut -d'.' -f1` echo $d".XML" >> XML_File_List.txt out=`echo "gunzip -c -S .ZIP $d.ZIP > $d.XML;"` echo $out per=`echo "chmod ugo+rwx $d.XML;"` echo $per done <ZIP_File_List.txt and the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.kuppili
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute stored procedure through script in sybase database and store the output in a .csv file

Hi, I have a sybase stored procedure which takes two input parameters (start_date and end_date) and when it get executed, it gives few records as an output. I want to write a unix script (ksh) which login to the sybase database, then execute this stored procedure (takes the input parameter as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute standard output ?

Alright so i got this script genpipe: echo "$*" |sh genscript file vi file << 'HERE' :%s/^/echo /g :%s/ $//g :%s/ /&\| xargs \.\/plus /g :wq HERE cat file Which generates output like echo 1 | xargs ./plus 2 | xargs ./plus 3 and so on Now i got the next script multiplus, who should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute python file, FTP output to another server

Greetings all, We are implementing a new tool called URLwatch which is a python utility. Here are the requirements. 1) Run every 10 seconds 2) Execute the python script 3) Output file gets generated, FTP it to a differernt server I gave no idea how to do this and management needs a demo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute command remotely as sudo and save the output locally?

Hello , I am trying to run a NetBackup command in remote server. Also this command can only be run by root so I am using sudo . Also I want the output of the command locally in a file. The below command asked for password , ran successfully and showed Output on my local server screen ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute awk output with continuous streaming input

I need to parse some continuous output from a program (i.e. aScript.py) into a portal that uses curl. I've written a simple awk one-liner to parse the information that is output from aScript.py, but I'm not able to execute it. I can succeed with just one line of the output from aScript.py: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
2 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)