Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smart question
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users smart question Post 76800 by jerardfjay on Thursday 30th of June 2005 03:46:49 PM
Old 06-30-2005
assuming your input file is in_file. You could code something like this

Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

size=$(wc -c in_file | awk -F " " '{print $1}')
half_size=`expr $size / 2`
split -b $half_size in_file

The result of the final split command will be two or three files name xaa, xab and xac. you will get two files if the in_file is even number in size else three files with the last file xac being just 1 byte.
If you wanted the first half just read xaa, else read xab and xac if available for the latter.

jerardfjay

Last edited by jerardfjay; 06-30-2005 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: more explanation

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Real smart question

hello My question is whats the difference between LP and LPR to print Sun Solaris ? lp -dprintername postscriptfile.ps or lpr -Pprintname postscriptfile.ps (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

smart script?

First, I know that's a bad title. I couldn't think of anything short enough. ... I wrote the following script to let me know when various parts of the network are down. It used to look like this before last weekend when I got over 500 emails about 1 host being down all weekend: this is in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need smart script !

Hi, I need a script to assign variables the below paths /appl/user_projects/domains/<xxx>/servers/<yyy>/logs Where <xxx> can be any number and name of directories. <yyy> can be another set of any number of names and directories. I want to neglect all the <xxx> and <yyy>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)